IGNORED

PAL Atari 7800 Brewing Academy UAV mod

root42

On 8/8/2024 at 11:21 AM, juansolo said:

They're not going to release the schematic to the board, best to return it to Brewing Academy and get a replacement if the fault traces back there.

Which is extremely expensive for me as I live in Germany. Shipping it back is about 30 USD alone plus I had to pay 19% import duty. Plus they will also have to pay duty probably when I ship it back. This is prohibitively expensive. I would rathe like to repair this one. 

18 hours ago, root42 said:

Which is extremely expensive for me as I live in Germany. Shipping it back is about 30 USD alone plus I had to pay 19% import duty. Plus they will also have to pay duty probably when I ship it back. This is prohibitively expensive. I would rathe like to repair this one. 

Only other option I can suggest is to get in contact with @juansolo and @marauder666 to see if they can perhaps take a gander at it. They are in the UK so I'm not sure how shipping the console and UAV to them would fair but they could at least try and replicate what is happening and perhaps confirm if the UAV is at fault. 

Happy to do it and we've got plenty we could test here (as we have our own mod which would make fault finding much easier), but the shipping costs would be massive as it'd incur customs charges in both directions.

Edited by juansolo

On 8/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, root42 said:

The US doesn't charge any duty fees for stuff purchased oversears. Or at least, I've never been hit with any. We might have the usual taxes, but it isn't anything outrageous as I've seen for other countries. And if you were to make the package as return, or RMA, or Refund or something to that effect it should be clear of such fees? I know when I've done a few things for folks in Canada, I make sure to mark them as repaired electronics and that seems to keep the duty fees from being charged to them when I do that. In any event it is super frustrating I'm sure and I wish I had some other ideas to try?

The only other suggestion is to use a DMM in continuity and start checking from the chroma output via on the UAV backwards as much as possible to see if there might be a faulty component on the chroma side. Just remember that the UAV I believe is a 4 layer PCB so there will be traces that you can't actually see but finding point to point between components is doable though time consuming.

• Like 1