IGNORED

Trouble with Asteroids Deluxe code on 2600+

tradyblix

Okay, so I know that originally, if you hit pause on 7800, you can get Asteroids Deluxe to become Asteroids. Which I prefer, as I really like the original triangle shape for the ship in the vector like version of this game. That's how I remember it in arcades. 

Since we don't have pause on 2600+, in recent versions of the firmware you held right and the 2 7800 buttons down for 3 seconds and it would switch the title screen. I know it still works becuase I have done it recently. 

However, I am having trouble making it work with the 1.1x-r6 firmware.

Did something change ? Or am I doing it wrong ? Can we make it easier somehow to get to this mode ? 

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Damn. Nobody plays Asteroids Deluxe ? lol 

You scared me for a moment, as I was pretty sure I tested this with the 1.1x-r6 firmware. This is one of my favorite games, so I've tested it with every firmware update and it still works for me. Keep in mind that when you hold down both buttons +right, the Asteroids Deluxe rom will start up, keep holding the buttons down and upon release, the Asteroids ROM will start up and you should see its splashscreen. Try holding it down for more than 3 seconds as its about 3 or so seconds. FWIW, I find it easier to use a gamepad to trigger this action and then I switch controllers to my Starplex.🙂

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

You scared me for a moment, as I was pretty sure I tested this with the 1.1x-r6 firmware. This is one of my favorite games, so I've tested it with every firmware update and it still works for me. Keep in mind that when you hold down both buttons +right, the Asteroids Deluxe rom will start up, keep holding the buttons down and upon release, the Asteroids ROM will start up and you should see its splashscreen. Try holding it down for more than 3 seconds as its about 3 or so seconds. FWIW, I find it easier to use a gamepad to trigger this action and then I switch controllers to my Starplex.🙂

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

Yeah, I knew it was something like this. 

Does the 3 second count start from like, the initial appearance of the title screen ? Because if you hold it like, too long, it seems like it doesnt’ work.

I’ll just try again. So weird. Part of me thinks that it’s the fact I’m using an arcade style joystick which might have play on the right action. 

It needs to be a tad easier IMO. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

I let the Deluxe title screen appear, hold down both buttons +right and count to 5. When I let go, the Asteroids title screen always pops up for me. Again, I find it easier to do this with a gamepad controller, versus the CX24 joysticks etc. Btw, I've counted to 7 and let go and it still works for me.

• Like 3

So yeah. I can't get this to work. No matter what I do, as soon as I hit the buttons now it starts the game. Or it does nothing. What the .... I have done this on this machine before with this controller, so WHATS CHANGED ???? 

Posted (edited)

Update. Okay, I switched it out for a gamepad, and then it works. THAT IS SO ODD. 

I mean, it must be something to do with the joystick or joystick gate, but it works fine in all directions and the buttons both work fine, so I don't know what it is about that controller where it won't trigger it (on release). 

Still, at least I have a workaround. But I have to say.... we need a better way. Since color seems to act as pause on this game, maybe toggling that toggle would be a better short cut.

Edited by tradyblix

As soon as you hit the buttons, Asteroids Deluxe will start, continue to hold the buttons for ~3/4 seconds and when you let go, it will bring up the Asteroids title screen. 

2 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Update. Okay, I switched it out for a gamepad, and then it works. THAT IS SO ODD. 

I mean, it must be something to do with the joystick or joystick gate, but it works fine in all directions and the buttons both work fine, so I don't know what it is about that controller where it won't trigger it (on release). 

Still, at least I have a workaround. But I have to say.... we need a better way. Since color seems to act as pause on this game, maybe toggling that toggle would be a better short cut.

Excellent! Glad you got it working. I can get it to work with my CX24s, but find it easier to trigger with a game pad. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

As soon as you hit the buttons, Asteroids Deluxe will start, continue to hold the buttons for ~3/4 seconds and when you let go, it will bring up the Asteroids title screen. 

Yes, I understand that. However i needed a 7800 gamepad to make it work for some reason. Doing it on another 7800 custom controller fails. 

It's odd, but I least have a way to trigger it now. Then I just switch it out. 

Trying to understand WHY this is the case, but it is a custom controller, so maybe it works differently when holding down buttons ? who knows. Only issue like this I've seen on 70+ games. 

Edited by tradyblix

17 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

It's odd, but I least have a way to trigger it now. Then I just switch it out.

I use my gamepad just to trigger and swap controllers. I prefer this for Asteroids. 

19 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Trying to understand WHY this is the case, but it is a custom controller, so maybe it works differently when holding down buttons ?

Probably due to it being custom.

Glad it worked it. The hidden Asteroids game is great. I turn the lights out, and the game almost looks like the vector coin-op. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I use my gamepad just to trigger and swap controllers. I prefer this for Asteroids. 

Probably due to it being custom.

Glad it worked it. The hidden Asteroids game is great. I turn the lights out, and the game almost looks like the vector coin-op. 

Yeah, I also kinda prefer it. I like both, but the non deluxe one is the more simple game that reminds me more of the 2600 version and I think it has a better color scheme too. 

Well the gamepad I'm using to trigger it is also custom, so it's probably more something about the joystick input vs the gamepad input, is all I can think. Cuz the other one definately don't work. 

Maybe if anyone's interested in fixing it this thread will serve as notice since it's replicable. 

Edited by tradyblix

Posted (edited)

However, I'm not actually using the 7800 joystick with asteroids. I have a custom asteroids controller in the layout that has all buttons. That has up and down, (hyperspace/shields and thrust) as well as rotate left right and fire. It also doesn't work tho, which is when I found out I had to use a gamepad for some reason. 

This is only game so far I've discovered with this "issue". 

Edited by tradyblix