IGNORED

Do you remember your first TI Cartridge?

dhe

19 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

My pre-owned TI-99/4A (not sure if it was 1982 or 1983) came with Parsec, Tombstone City and Extended Basic.

One of my laments is that my TI did not come with any enhanced programming language or tool.  I would have loved to had TI Extended BASIC or Mini Memory with the system for Christmas.  Being fair to my parents, we were not flush with money so they bought what they thought would be the best value.  It is also likely that neither of those were available to be purchased, and even if they were available, they bought at least two games for the going price of XB or MiniMem.

Notwithstanding, starting with TI BASIC set me on a course which has held my entire life.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Notwithstanding, starting with TI BASIC set me on a course which has held my entire life.

Hmmm ... makes me wonder, if we have started with Extended BASIC, would we have an Extended life? Instead of our BASIC one?  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, SteveB said:

Hmmm ... makes me wonder, if we have started with Extended BASIC, would we have an Extended life? Instead of our BASIC one?  🙂 

Well, I am leading a kind-of BASIC Bitch life, so, maybe.

• Haha 5

I'm not sure if it was the first we had, but the first I remember would have been TI Extended Basic. 1983. I was 6. Started out typing in programs from books and it got me hooked! 40 odd years later, I'm still hooked on coding.

• Like 5

1981 for me too.  Munchman or Parsec probably - don't remember.  I had several friends with TI99s so we used to swap cartridges a lot.  Invaders and the attack were others I remember playing.  I got minimem for xmas in '82 or maybe '83 and spent most of my time after that learning 9900 assembly.  I remember using LBLA a lot but also editing code in hex.  I knew the hex for many of the opcodes after a while.

• Like 6

Christmas '83 for me, I was 11 and made the decision against everyone else who said "what are you going to do with a computer".  My older brother got a Vectrex.  My mother actually gave me the 2 computer manuals to read a couple of months early.  And... it came with Parsec (the guy in the store said it was the one to have).

It would be at least a year before I got another cartridge, but it was minimem - the reason was, while desirable I didn't think XB was going to cut it, having been doing TI BASIC for a whole 12 months, and minimem came with more RAM.  So, yeah, from TI BASIC to assembly.

But I wasn't quite yet done with TI, with them necessarily teaching me assembler on the TI-99...  Fast forward a decade...

image.thumb.jpeg.02cab7c56b8430f9277e9388d74fcd96.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60deabe063a88a72c88721973b7d0c50.jpeg

I resigned a month later, when they told me all my code would need to be rewritten (because it worked properly, and their template code didn't, go figure).  And 2 months later, they were marched out of the public service office by security guards.  It's a long story, and only makes sense when told short. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I played Munchman on a 99/4A at a kid's house before I knew what it was, and Parsec was the first game I played on my uncle's TI when he got one.  When I finally got my own 99/4A from the Triton catalog, I don't remember what I got with it, but I know I had those two and TI Invaders, at the very least.  Once I got my own at home, I quickly spent more time coding in Extended BASIC (and saving to tape) than I did playing games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sometimes99er said:

TI Invaders.

I bought that with Extended BASIC early on. Of course, that was during the Extended BASIC famine, so it took nearly a year to get my XB cartridge. The famine was a result of their stop sale order on V100 as they waited to get V110 into circulation. Then when it did arrive, the only folks to initially receive it were those exchanging their V100 cartridges (yet another reason so few of those are still in circulation). New orders were at the back of that delivery train. . .

• Like 1

We got our TI-99/4A in August 1983. My dad got both Hunt the Wumpus and Number Magic with it.

Within a couple of weeks he took me to a store to look for more cartridges. There was a demo unit with the awful joysticks and Car Wars, but I was unimpressed.

We came home with TI Invaders and Parsec.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Extended Basic, after 6 months with the basic console. I had been reading about xb for those 6 months,  eagerly anticipating sprites. Followed by Tunnels of Doom an other 6 months later for I think $50 and a recorder for whatever that cost. Dad gifted me the ti for Christmas, I think 1982? Later Mom got me the recorder. I bought the xb and ToD with cassette tape from my stockboy job. Disk drives were a far off fantasy along with 32k. PEB forget it, lala land. Might as well get a Ferrari. 

• Like 4