IGNORED

NEWBIE - Atari 800 (not XL) keyboard question

I just received my first Atari 800, untested, from an ebay seller. The seller did not use any packing at all, so the system was flopping around in the box and about 20 key caps came off of the board. Luckily, it look likes nothing broke.

One of the key caps that came off is the CAPS LOCK key. I put it back on, but it doesn't look right. Is it supposed to act just like all of the others keys? I though that it would lock down somehow.

I'm still waiting for my two power supplies I ordered. One for the 400 that I'm repairing (so far, only brokern door hinge and missing spring), and one for this 800.

Thank you!

Joe

Anybody that is so stupid or lazy to package an item like that, needs beaten around the head with said power supply being swung from the attached cord.  I think at this point, it may be the only way to stop this worrying trend.

• Like 3

Some C= computers have a Shift Lock key that locks in the down position.

Caps Lock on Atari is just like any other key.  No actual mechanical lock.  The locking function for what type of characters appear is done in software.

• Like 1

Thank you for the prompt replies!

Yes, I was upset as well. I'm finishing up on cleaning the key caps, the keyboard, the PCB's, the cartridge boards (memory, ROM, etc) and the case. I already tested the major chips with my Chip Tester Pro V2, and they all passed. I also put deoxit in the major chip sockets and the edge connector slots. I do want to whiten the case, but that question will be a separate post.

Today I ordered a composite video cable (CB101280E2) for the 800, and two hatch springs for my 400 (CO14104), from Best Electronics. When the aforementioned arrive, and my two power adapters from a different source arrive as well, I can test both units to see what steps are needed next.

Joe