IGNORED

Getting a Centronics printer interface up and running

On 8/12/2024 at 3:09 AM, pixelmischief said:

I've recently connected a Star NX1000 via both the MIO and the P:R:.  Funny though, I almost immediately went back to the FujiNet pushing to a Pi serving an inkjet.  Kinda nice.

But then how do you print your banners?  j/k

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so my Xetec Graphix AT interface arrived, and I opened it up, for the benefit of @MrFish

It seems there are two versions- the older one I have, from 1985, and a revised version from 1987.

A picture of the internals of both side-by-side was posted previously on AtariAge by @leech

20200613_080959.jpg.e9fd12963702940700a560bd963a2cef.jpg

The 1985 version is based on a 6805 microprocessor with 3 logic chips and a 2764 EPROM.  The 6805 has (16) on-chip IO lines, 8 of which are used to drive the parallel port, and 112 bytes of on-chip RAM.

The SIO cable uses 6 lines from the SIO bus-

clock out (pin 2, brown wire)

data in (to computer) (pin 3, blue wire)

ground (pin 4, cable shield with yellow sleeve)

data out (from computer) (pin 5, white wire)

command (pin 7, green wire)

+5V (pin 10, red wire)

The clock signal is used to drive the 6805 clock and the +5V to power the whole board.

In the 1987 version, the logic chips, 6805 and ROM all seem to have been subsumed into a single custom IC, greatly simplifying the board layout, which also does away with the capacitors between the +5V rail and ground.

An interesting variation between the version pictured by @leech and mine is that mine also has a regulator diode between the +5V rail and ground, just below the large 100uf electrolytic capacitor.

image.thumb.png.b1c65fea6feb3c9c13f2ec38d892087d.png image.thumb.png.cc45eceac7f5f7fff0fc92e0d9f8fe25.png

image.thumb.png.62fcb80fd10c48c473f4373e843c1dbc.png image.thumb.png.1de5a192b6644c3210db65f3651f31ce.png

There had been a somewhat unsuccessful effort to erase the chip ID from the EPROM on my board (mostly, it was protected by the sticker)...

image.thumb.png.468919e04ace3ff3356c162f3925b8df.png

Xetec Graphix AT - Manual (ver2 1987).pdf Xetec Graphix AT manual (ver1 1985).pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mine is the 1985 version and is identical to what @drpeter posted.  However, I don't have the diode in mine.

I was able to dump the ROM as an AM2764A.  Here's the dump...

ATver_1_2_J.BIN

It looks like it's around 2.3k worth of code.  Maybe somebody wants to disassemble it.   🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb

Just now, drpeter said:

The chief functional difference between the 1985 and 1987 versions appears to be the absence of 'Near Letter Quality' printing mode on the former.

I used it with a Star NP-10 and it had "Near Letter Quality".  Maybe there's some difference?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

It looks like it's around 2.3k worth of code.  Maybe somebody wants to disassemble it.   🙂

If anyone wanted to attempt that joyful task, here's the datasheet for the 6805, including opcodes etc.

IA6805E2.PDF

EDIT: There do seem to be 6805 disassemblers around, although I've never used one

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

OK, so my Xetec Graphix AT interface arrived, and I opened it up, for the benefit of @MrFish

Thanks for the pics and other info.

It seems there are two versions- the older one I have, from 1985, and a revised version from 1987.

A picture of the internals of both side-by-side was posted previously on AtariAge by @leech

Yes, quite interesting.

I'm not sure how I missed everything in that thread. I could swear I recall seeing that thread before. It might have been towards the end of getting ready to launch my website, and the (available) info just slipped through the cracks. I was pretty anxious to turn the site loose and get away from the whole thing for a while, at that point.

I see the manual for the first version was posted in that thread too.

I'll have to make an entry for the older version too -- when I add info for this newer version.

In the 1987 version, the logic chips, 6805 and ROM all seem to have been subsumed into a single custom IC, greatly simplifying the board layout, which also does away with the capacitors between the +5V rail and ground.

Yeah, that's pretty interesting to see it'd been updated to a single custom chip.

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Mine is the 1985 version and is identical to what @drpeter posted.  However, I don't have the diode in mine.

I was able to dump the ROM as an AM2764A.  Here's the dump...

ATver_1_2_J.BIN 8 kB · 2 downloads

Nice... I'll add that to my site too. I haven't been putting any information about EPROM types with anything (although I did think about doing it from the beginning), just the ROMs themselves. Maybe I'll start adding that sometime later. I think I was initially planning to have it as part of the ROM filename; and then maybe it seemed like bit too much to lump into the filename.

Can you verify the checksum for your dump? I got a CRC32 of 2F5B187D.

15 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Can you verify the checksum for your dump? I got a CRC32 of 2F5B187D.

How do I do that?

Xgpro shows a ChkSum of 0x0019 56DA.  Nothing mentioned about CRC32.  So, I don't know if it's the same type of checksum or not.

6 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

How do I do that?

I have a system extension for Windows that shows some hashes on a tab for any file's (or multiple files') properties.

infohash.png.a467afeea8f854379c7dd1c77bcfed36.png

But I usually use an application called CHK Hash Tool, because it can show hashes for a bunch of files at once (for a single hash type) and provide some comparison information (as well as a more comprehensive list of hash types). You just drag your ROMs over to the window.

chk.thumb.png.ea776a22ddefd578cdd92096b41989bc.png

6 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Xgpro shows a ChkSum of 0x0019 56DA.  Nothing mentioned about CRC32.

CRC32 is what we use here on the forums for ROMs. It was informally agreed upon at some point.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

CRC32 is what we generally use here on the forums. It was informally agreed upon at some point.

Ok.  I just downloaded and checked the checksum.  It matches, so your download should be valid.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Ok.  I just downloaded and checked the checksum.  It matches, so your download should be valid.  

Thanks. Just wanted to verify before I put the file up for download.

33 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

How do I do that?

15 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I have a system extension for Windows that shows some hashes on a tab for any file's properties.

Here's where you can get the Windows extension that I use:

HashCheck (original version -- the one I'm still using)

HashCheck (updated version)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

Here's where you can get the Windows extension that I use:

HashCheck (original version -- the one I'm still using)

HashCheck (updated version)

I second that choice

plus I use the later version successfully in Win 7 and Win 10 for a long time already. (Later does not mean recent. It has not been changed since 2016.)

And to add: The shell extension is also able to check several files at once, either to/from files compatible with Unix' md5sum/sha256sum or to its window. The latter is not extremely clearly arranged but does its job for a few files.

3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

And to add: The shell extension is also able to check several files at once, either to/from files compatible with Unix' md5sum/sha256sum or to its window. The latter is not extremely clearly arranged but does its job for a few files.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like it can't provide hashes for multiple files; but CHK Hash Tool just presents it in a nice spreadsheet-type format, and highlights files with the same hash in a different color. It was real handy when I was working with tons of firmware dumps, many of which were identical files that you couldn't determine by the filenames alone.

I was just reading through the instructions and looking at the Centronics connector pinout.

The instructions say to power the adapter through the printer, instead of from the PC, to do the following:

1.  Cut the red wire from the SIO.

2.  Solder a jumper.  (This jumper goes from pin 18, of the Centronics connector, to the adapter's power supply.)

The instructions also mention that pin 18 supplies 50 mA.

On the Centronics connector pinout, pin 18 is a +5v pullup for up to 50 mA and pin 35 is +5 volts.  While I guess this worked, it would make more sense, to me, to connect the +5 volts to pin 35.

https://pinoutguide.com/ParallelPorts/Centronics_pinout.shtml

Edit to add:  Maybe the answer is at the bottom of the page in the above link?  Maybe pin 18 always had +5v and not all manufacturers had +5 on pin 35?

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1