IGNORED

ColUSB Possible

Hey, I have a TI99/4A computer, and I noticed the power connector is the same as ColecoVision’s connector, and they use the same pinout. The TI has the internal power inside the console to turn on with a huge fat power supply, and is it possible to use the ColUSB USB-C power adapter to turn on the TI?

56 minutes ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

Hey, I have a TI99/4A computer, and I noticed the power connector is the same as ColecoVision’s connector, and they use the same pinout. The TI has the internal power inside the console to turn on with a huge fat power supply, and is it possible to use the ColUSB USB-C power adapter to turn on the TI?

The Colecovision outputs DC volts on that connection. Whereas the TI external brick outputs higher AC voltage and then the other half inside the console converts it down to 12 and 5 and -5 volts inside. The Colecovision did everything externally originally.

You might be able to use it but it would require removing the board inside the console as well and wiring up the switch, led, and the wires correctly, not sure if the colusb outputs enough wattage, the -5 side is critical on the ti99 to be able to power the internal groms and cartridge groms.

See this thread on AtariAge for more info on the colusb side:

• Like 2

As far as converting the TI to use ColecoVision power supplies, that should be done with caution. As I've noted with similar proposals in the past, the process leaves the system booby-trapped because original TI power supplies are now dangerous. An unsuspecting future owner, or a distracted future you, can easily plug a TI power supply into the modified console and blow some hardware up.

I would consider preserving the original power connector in this scenario to be a bug, not a feature.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JB said:

As far as converting the TI to use ColecoVision power supplies, that should be done with caution. As I've noted with similar proposals in the past, the process leaves the system booby-trapped because original TI power supplies are now dangerous. An unsuspecting future owner, or a distracted future you, can easily plug a TI power supply into the modified console and blow some hardware up.

I would consider preserving the original power connector in this scenario to be a bug, not a feature.

Yes, that is the pitfall. Same as modifying PEB cards to run without their onboard voltage regulators.

1 minute ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e1389e157a0d60ecd000ae34d98d63db.jpeg

As far as I concerned, this is the wiring diagram for the Keelog power supply, so that could bypass the old internal power supply, but the power led may not work nor the switch. The Keelog power cable should have the power switch.

Yes, that one will of course not have a switch or led. But again care must be to never ever plug in an original ti99 power brick or goodbye motherboard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The only way to shut off and turn on without unplugging is to use a usb c power switch which can be found on Amazon instead of jerking around to install a power switch inside a console, so it’s easier to use a usb power switch, or a power strip.

Edited by Retro_Game_Lover96

Posted (edited)

Here’s how I got the ColUSB to work on my TI99/4A.

1. Unscrew seven screws on the bottom of the console.
  2. Detach the back housing.
  3. Unscrew two screws from the power motherboard.
  4. Desolder all of the wires of the power port and the four wires which has the connector to the console’s motherboard from the board.
  5. Solder a wire on an empty port on a back of the power port which is +5V. (I used a yellow wire.)
  6. Simply solder all four wires from the power port and the other four wires from the console mobo together (similar to the Keelog power wiring) Pay attention to the wire colors! (On mine, the red is -5V, black is Ground, and white is +12V, and lastly yellow is +5V.)
  7. Test out with ColUSB to make sure it works if so, put it back together, if not, check your work. I used some heat shrink tubes to hold in place after I test to get it to work.
  8. Enjoy, but you will need an USB-C power switch for switching on and off your TI without unplugging the power cord. Also, that mod should put the fat power wall wart to shame.

Keep in mind, doing the Keelog power wiring mod will bypass the power motherboard, power switch, and the power led.

Edited by Retro_Game_Lover96
  • Like 1

Just to emphasize the point about CHECKING the power wiring - I have had TI motherboards where the silkscreen labels the power lines incorrectly (+5 and +12 swapped, IIRC), and if you follow the silkscreen, you'll kill the board. So anytime you're replacing the internal supply, check which pin is which voltage!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Just to emphasize the point about CHECKING the power wiring - I have had TI motherboards where the silkscreen labels the power lines incorrectly (+5 and +12 swapped, IIRC), and if you follow the silkscreen, you'll kill the board. So anytime you're replacing the internal supply, check which pin is which voltage!

That is true. My original ti99 only has all blue wires, no colors either as well.