IGNORED

original Imagewriter printer with 2C producing output code instead of basic program

Dug out my original Imagewriter printer, which is more of an eggshell color, as opposed to its later more beige Imagewriter II successor. While you read, keep in mind that last year I had a ROM chip replaced to restore my 2C to its former glory.

I typed in a simple HELLO WORLD program in basic, did a PR#1, and got a pack of several code lines instead.  

The printout is faint, but under a magnifying glass, I can detect the first line of 8D 8A 88  8D 8A DD  D2 D5 CE  8D 8A  8D  8A D4 C8  C9 D3 A0  C9 D3

1) So wondering if someone could first describe, in the simplest of terms, what that above code is?  Related to the new ROM being installed in some way?

2) I rehooked my beige Imagewriter II and the program printed properly. So wondering if somehow the "brain" or communication path and/or inner circuitry was somehow different in the early printer and maybe is just not compatible now?

3) Would you trash this printer, or is there a way you know how to get it working in this scenario?  I was shocked at how lightning fast it was printing the gibberish otherwise!

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Don't know if anyone is really interested here.... but I tried an experiment. I hooked up the same original Imagewriter (I) printer to my 2E, where both of these were circa 1985, and I did get the HELLO WORLD printout on paper. So what that told me is that the new ROM chip in the 2C likely was the culprit as far as interfering with the output printed to paper on the older printer; the blend of the new part with the old peripheral just did not mesh.

Luckily I won't have to trash the Imagewriter (I) printer now.  

Edited by newTIboyRob