IGNORED

Metal Slug Background Scroller

42bs

2 hours ago, 42bs said:

Just a small try. GFX (860x102) ripped by @agradeneu from Metal Slug, cleaned (removed sky) and converted for Lynx.

I guess acutally it should be at least 3 level parallax scrolling.

image.thumb.png.671c6ee1b035bc2e54c7e48df9af4857.png

demo.o 34.5 kB · 3 downloads

Interesting! Some questions:

- Is it possible to display more than 16 colors, e.g. 40?

- For downsclaing, I found out that scaling to 120 pixel height looks better, though some vertical scrolling is needed then.

Edited by agradeneu

That's why I removed the sky and replaced it by rasters.

But having constantly more than 16 (well 15, we need the the background black) needs a lot of palette changing.

The common trick is to split the screen at some point.

It is possible (see Alpine Games) but needs a good color managment.

Using 120 vertical is worth a try.

I think, in general, with limited number of colors a simple "down sizing" as I did does not lead to best results.

I need to try @laoo 's sprite packer, as it is IIRC made to combine similar colors.

18 hours ago, 42bs said:

I need to try @laoo 's sprite packer, as it is IIRC made to combine similar colors.

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Nice, but probably no colors left for sprites?

Indeed - it is intended to process whole scenes of sprites, just prepare a PNG that will include all sprites and treat it as a "palette" - it will produce optimal (at most) 16 entry palette that can be used afterwards.

It accepts images up to 256 colors and reduces the number to 16 - treats each color as a bucket of colors, calculates 3D distance between each bucket and merges closest pair to one bucket, giving resultant color as an average of all colors in bucket. Brutforce O(n^3) hence the limit to 256.

But I still have some unresolved bugs - the tool fails for very narrow sprites. Probably some trivial bug but I haven't investigated it yet.

Edited by laoo
  • Like 1

The player character sprite "idle" animation, some repixeling by myself, 21x20 pixels.

Downscaling 50% with aseprite software totally messes up the artwork, it looked unrecognizable.

Anmation 100% redone, tried to match the original.

The palette would need a yellow and a green for the sprites IMO.

Player sprites are "larger" in relation to the backdrop, still worth a try.

MS_player_idle_top.bmp MS_player_idle_Lynx_bottom.bmp

MS_player_idle_top (1).gif

Edited by agradeneu

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Nice, but probably no colors left for sprites?

Yes, no color left. I wanted to try scrolling a large backdrop. So maybe even go for 140 pixel height.

I will continue trying, but time is limited as I am in vacation and beach and sea have high prio 🙂

11 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Its really ironic, after the argument on the AA Jaguar forum, to see this in the Lynx forum :-D

Aha - the solution would then be to port the Lynx port of the NeoGeo port, thereby killing two birds with one stone!

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Its really ironic, after the argument on the AA Jaguar forum, to see this in the Lynx forum :-D

Well, I never tried to convert a large backdrop and scroll. And this one was ideal. Still ... 🙂

I had to convert the art for mobile (Metal Slug mobile impact) way back in 2000ish, for three different size of screens. You should try to track the game and take sprites from there (the smallest version is 96x65): we optimised the animations frames and did a really clean job.

the 

image.png.22fd72faf663b171d258c10f76284bc2.pngimage.png.b3162a3c4a9ae51496e410407576a679.pngimage.png.e0831c44358ab90ea11c6940ff4389ca.pngimage.thumb.png.d73f6b4ed410ef11f0ce76b936730c04.png

Edited by micdune
  • Like 1