IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe for 7800 "Hidden Game"

swiller

Robert DeCrescenzo's game has  "hidden" version of the original arcade Asteroids. Will this Atari re-release cart have it? I noticed they split Frenzy and Berserk in 2 carts when you can get 2 in 1 at AtariAge.

Edited by swiller

16 minutes ago, swiller said:

Robert DeCrescenzo's game has  "hidden" version of the original arcade Asteroids. Will this Atari re-release cart have it? I noticed they split Frenzy and Berserk in 2 carts when you can get 2 in 1 at AtariAge.

Good question. I now the original cart works on the 2600+ In order to trigger Asteroids you have to trigger the "Escape Sequence" for the hidden game: Hold both buttons + right for 3 or so seconds, immediately upon Asteroids Deluxe splashscreen load. This will cause Asteroids Deluxe to start and upon release, the Asteroids rom will start up.

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

• Like 3

There's something you should know about the escape sequence tho. If you are using a third party controller that is not a gamepad, it can be difficult for whatever reason, to trigger this sequence.

So I recommend having a CX78 or a 7800 gamepad with a D pad as it's easier.

Also, if the game starts while you are holding down right and the buttons for 3 seconds, it's okay, releasing them will start you back at the (non deluxe) title screen, even if it starts in deluxe mode. 

I found these things confusing, so I thought I would help people that read this. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 3

Good to know. Getting the CX78+ wireless for sure. I want to hold off on this till I know. I wish the descriptions of the listings were better. How many levels in crystal quest? can you continue? No gameplay video. Just want more info.

2 hours ago, swiller said:

Good to know. Getting the CX78+ wireless for sure. I want to hold off on this till I know. I wish the descriptions of the listings were better. How many levels in crystal quest? can you continue? No gameplay video. Just want more info.

Well it's good to be concerned, because they modified the rom so they could split berzerk and frenzy out, rather dubiously IMO. 

So modifying the OG AD rom is not outside of question..... 

You can just see the bean counters going... so "Asteroids is another 29.99 cart, right RIGHT ??? " lol. Wade needs another yacht 

Edited by tradyblix

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

You mean the hidden version? On an original 7800 you can trigger the Asteroids rom by holding down the power and pause buttons together. 

That's right!  I didn't know!  News to me!  Thank you!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zonie said:

That's pretty cool. Will the wireless controllers transmit the three inputs simultaneously to allow the console to recognize it?

Good question. While I have a 2600+, I obviously don’t have one of the wireless controllers to test with, so time will tell. Of course, you can always revert to a wired controller with extension cable. This bundle provides everything except for a wired CX78+.

So here's another question. If the games are becoming available from Atari on the A+ line, will they still be in the AtariAge store in their original AA homebrew format? (artwork, code, etc.) or will both variations be sold simultaneously? or will the AA version go away and possibly become more collectible?

I'm actually quite surprised with myself for not buying this yet. I think it was the Green instead of Blue, but the Standard Asteroids hack makes me consider it.

3 hours ago, Zonie said:

So here's another question. If the games are becoming available from Atari on the A+ line, will they still be in the AtariAge store in their original AA homebrew format? (artwork, code, etc.) or will both variations be sold simultaneously? or will the AA version go away and possibly become more collectible?

I'm actually quite surprised with myself for not buying this yet. I think it was the Green instead of Blue, but the Standard Asteroids hack makes me consider it.

You can try in emulation. The "hidden" asteroids has all 2-player game modes and difficulty options of Deluxe, so it is full-featured!

• Like 1