IGNORED

Terra7 needs help

Hi, before I release the bin file, I would like to fix it.
There is a problem that has been driving me crazy for some time.
If you have seen the last episode of ZPH, the movement of the spaceships and robot in Terra7 is not perfect sometimes.
A problem I also experience on any emulator I've tried, particularly with the PAL60 and SECAM60 versions.
Can someone please check and tell me what I did wrong?

Here is the repository with the source code:

https://github.com/Cisano/Terra7

Thanks

Cisano

Edited by Cisano
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Do you have a time code where it happens? Tanya and James did not notice and neither did I.

If you see ZPH video, it is easy to see in all the game.

If you need when: 2.52.00 / 2.52.05

30 minutes ago, Cisano said:

If someone wants to check the game, in this version the problem is always there.

Terra7 - Beta - PAL60.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

I can see it, but when I step though the frame one by one (either in debugger or in Time Machine) or rewind and replay it is gone. Very weird.

IMO the problem is not in your code.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I can see it, but when I step though the frame one by one (either in debugger or in Time Machine) or rewind and replay it is gone. Very weird.

IMO the problem is not in your code.

Yes it drove me crazy for weeks.

If it is not the code, why it happens on real hardware?

Edited by Cisano

3 hours ago, Cisano said:

If it is not the code, why it happens on real hardware?

I think the visual issues you're seeing with the spaceships might be due to either framerate, video playback, video recording or montior/TV screen refresh issues and like Thomas J said, not to do with your code. If you go step by step through your code in Stella and the ships aren't jumping/pausing but they are when you are playing the game then it's most likely due to the above issues of an imperfect video pipeline.

- James

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I think the visual issues you're seeing with the spaceships might be due to either framerate, video playback, video recording or montior/TV screen refresh issues and like Thomas J said, not to do with your code. If you go step by step through your code in Stella and the ships aren't jumping/pausing but they are when you are playing the game then it's most likely due to the above issues of an imperfect video pipeline.

- James

The other games in your show, had not this kind of problem.

If I play other games on Stella all is perfect. Smooth like silk.

When I play Terra7... 😶

Cisano

Edited by Cisano

7 hours ago, Cisano said:

The other games in your show, had not this kind of problem.

If I play other games on Stella all is perfect. Smooth like silk.

When I play Terra7... 😶

And on real hardware? Best with a CRT.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Cisano asked me to test the game on the real hardware, so here are my observations.

In my opinion, the movement on the Atari 2600 was smooth. Nothing wrong at all. But under the emulator, the flying objects seemed to "stutter" - it was very noticeable. I recorded videos, but they don’t quite capture what I saw live.

Atari 2600 Jr PAL:

Stella 6.7 on Win7:

// I need to train more, but the game is quite fun! Congratulations, Cisano!

Edited by Dalton
typo

I see it on recorded video, but I didn't notice it on the real monitor while I was playing. That's why I wrote that the videos does not really capture what I saw :)

It's also true that the movement on Stella video looks better than it was in real.

I'll play more during the weekend and I'll try to record it in 60FPS, because the current framerate/compression/encoding etc. can affect how it looks like...

12 hours ago, Dalton said:

I see it on recorded video, but I didn't notice it on the real monitor while I was playing. That's why I wrote that the videos does not really capture what I saw :)

It's also true that the movement on Stella video looks better than it was in real.

I'll play more during the weekend and I'll try to record it in 60FPS, because the current framerate/compression/encoding etc. can affect how it looks like...

Is your monitor running at 60Hz?

Here are two new recordings:

For some reason I couldn't get color on the tv card :/

10 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

Is your monitor running at 60Hz?

It was running at 50Hz! After switching to 60Hz it was much better!

• Like 1

@Cisano

I think it's a Stella Emulator timing related issue.

I tried the "Terra7 - Beta - PAL60.bin" file renamed as "Terra7 - Beta - NTSC.bin" and despite the wrong colors it seems the problem disappeared.

Moreover when running a game in NTSC mode I see a round 60.0fps value, instead in PAL60 there's a 59.5fps (and this happens with all PAL60 games). This could be the cause of the problem in some way. Maybe the Stella team could help.

Don't know on real hardware, but I took a look on the code and I didn't see strange things.

Hope this will help.

Silvio

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Silvio Mogno said:

Moreover when running a game in NTSC mode I see a round 60.0fps value, instead in PAL60 there's a 59.5fps (and this happens with all PAL60 games). This could be the cause of the problem in some way. Maybe the Stella team could help.

That can partially be explained, the PAL console is slightly slower than the NTSC console.

NTSC: 1.193182 MHz

PAL: 1.182298 MHz

If you divide both by 76 cycles/scanline and 262 scanlines you get 59.92 Hz for NTSC and 59.38 Hz for PAL-60.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2