IGNORED

Got about 80, maybe 85% of a PEB and need advice on fixing it!

Just as the title says. Got a PEB now (well, most of a PEB anyway), but it's missing its floppy, floppy cable, power button (along with about half the stem), the top lid and the fuse holder was being held together by electrical tape. It does have the floppy controller, 32k RAM expansion and interface card/carts with "fire hose" cable.  

I've already gotten a replacement for the fuse holder, but need advice on the floppy. Can I use a double sided drive? can I install two half-heights? Is there a twist in the floppy cable like there is on the PC? Also, any ideas for the power button? Or, for that matter, the top cover?

Edited by DistantStar001

yes, you can install two half-heights. -- there is no twist in the floppy cable -- select the drive number on the drive itself. -- if they are older drives, the one at end of cable should have a terminator pack. -- most of the current 5.25" half-heights can run on the PEB power supply as is, but if they are very old drives, it is recommend to upgrade the amps on the power supply, and easy change to do, but 90% of the time you are good as-is.

as for power button, any switch rated to handle the 15 amps AC is good enough.

as for top cover? -- hmm, that is tough one, maybe you could 3d print one? -- has anyone done that yet?

1 hour ago, DistantStar001 said:

Just as the title says. Got a PEB now (well, most of a PEB anyway), but it's missing its floppy, floppy cable, power button (along with about half the stem), the top lid and the fuse holder was being held together by electrical tape. It does have the floppy controller, 32k RAM expansion and interface card/carts with "fire hose" cable.  

I've already gotten a replacement for the fuse holder, but need advice on the floppy. Can I use a double sided drive? can I install two half-heights? Is there a twist in the floppy cable like there is on the PC? Also, any ideas for the power button? Or, for that matter, the top cover?

If you do not have any physical floppy disk then I would suggest going with a gotek and you can save your virtual diskettes and just select them.

• Like 1

- any ibm compat drive should work fine, 360k only, 1.2mb wont work

- as others suggest a gotek is a good cheap drive replacement

- tipi is a more $ investment but gets you hard disk, internet, mouse and printer emu as well as floppy

- i sell dual drive mounting kits in my store as well as goteks etc

- i have 3d printed buttons for your broken switch if you find a replacement stem

faq has lots of info..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DistantStar001 said:

OK. So I've replaced the fuse holder and installed a 360k floppy drive. Still working on a fix for the power button, but it does work as a button, so that's good. 

Still, trying to figure out how to use the floppy drive though.

You look on the pcb board of the drive, there are usually jumpers there with lettering of 0-4. You jumper the 0 one, that makes it drive one to the TI. Then you install a ribbon cable between it and the Disk Controller card in the box, pin one to pin one. Then you must have disks to insert into the drive and a program, either on a cartridge or on a disk that the ti has formattted, to use to format that disk into a ti recognizable format. I believe the pinned faqs has a lot of this information already. 

Not only in the faqs, but elsewhere there is information to use the drive, say like here on youtube:

Also here's some information http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/disk_controller_card.html 

and here https://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/ti994a/disk memory system (php1240).pdf

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content