IGNORED

UHQ scan of the cover from Star Raiders' box

I want to have a "digital painting" of this box done. Will be 100x75cm (around 39x29"). I'm having the original cartridge but the box got lost over the decades. Is anyone willing to scan the box for me in highest quality as possible, meaning 1200 dpi or 2400 dpi or greater and provide that for download? Quirks don't matter as this will be revised by me before printing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

I want to have a "digital painting" of this box done. Will be 100x75cm (around 39x29"). I'm having the original cartridge but the box got lost over the decades. Is anyone willing to scan the box for me in highest quality as possible, meaning 1200 dpi or 2400 dpi or greater and provide that for download? Quirks don't matter as this will be revised by me before printing.

Assuming you mean the original 1979 cart box art for the Atari 400/800:

star raiders.jpg

I can scan it when I get back from hold but I suspect there may already exist a hi res scan online somewhere.

Edit: atarimania has a hi res pdf:

https://www.atarimania.com/pgesoft.awp?version=4992

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Assuming you mean the original 1979 cart box art for the Atari 400/800:

star raiders.jpg

I can scan it when I get back from hold but I suspect there may already exist a hi res scan online somewhere.

Edit: atarimania has a hi res pdf:

https://www.atarimania.com/pgesoft.awp?version=4992

Exactly this one, and thanks for the link. Quality of the box art at atarimania is great, but resolution is somewhat low and I'm afraid that's might be not enough to print it onto a canvas. I've had this done several times with classic paintings freely found at Google's Art Project and results were great, but their resolutions were a type of >=2500x5000 and the source image was already a canvas painting.

I'd be very glad if you'll find some minutes of your time to scan the box's front!
Result will be posted here, and if someone is interested to watch "my" paintings, gimme sign and I'll post some examples.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

Exactly this one, and thanks for the link. Quality of the box art at atarimania is great, but resolution is somewhat low and I'm afraid that's might be not enough to print it onto a canvas. I've had this done several times with classic paintings freely found at Google's Art Project and results were great, but their resolutions were a type of >=2500x5000 and the source image was already a canvas painting.

I'd be very glad if you'll find some minutes of your time to scan the box's front!
Result will be posted here, and if someone is interested to watch "my" paintings, gimme sign and I'll post some examples.

Sure. Just to check you downloaded the 23mb pdf at the bottom of that atarimania page as the pages of that pdf are very hi res as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Sure. Just to check you downloaded the 23mb pdf at the bottom of that atarimania page as the pages of that pdf are very hi res as far as I can tell. 

Yeah, I've checked that, but it's quality is bad. It's almost hopeless getting a highres image full of garbage which takes a lot of revision. We'll see. It's always a good idea to archive such stuff (again) before lost for good.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

While waiting I took Atarimania's cover - despite of it's resolution (but the overall quality is better than all I found) - and chased it through the software Upscayl. The magically upscaled and optimized result is, with respect, BRILLIANT!

Have a look at my "paintings" and the new Star Raiders box cover. 

Edited by larryleffaovell
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

I see that you are enjoying my work, thanks for your interest. But did you guys took a closer look at the details on the "remastered" Star Raiders image? It is amazing and outstanding what details are coming into attraction...

image.thumb.png.17f46a31aafc02de08d727a26565cf00.png

atarimania-upscayl.png

• Like 9

...and the result as a "painting". Perfect for me, also the canvas structure which "softens" the whole picture. Another picture will follow when it hangs in its traditional place.

What's the max upload size at AA? I would like to upload my "new, perfect and now default Star Raiders box picture" here so everyone can work with it. Picture in question is a 13 MB PNG.

A scan isn't needed anymore but thanks for the offer @Beeblebrox💕

image.thumb.jpeg.d44e3a0c270566586539f08da024e63b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e0521eb0c881fe6f3998c7b9230f9694.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

A scan isn't needed anymore but thanks for thanks for the offer @Beeblebrox💕

I figured as much the other day when I saw your efforts.

This is amazing - well done. :) 

Edit: AFAIK you can upload very large sized attachments. People upload MP4 vids all the time. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beeblebrox said:

This is amazing - well done. :) 

The fun fact is that I did almost nothing. Retouching a white pixel here and there in the red lower part, maybe some in the space, but Upscayl did the whole rest without fumbling at it's parameters or anything. A really amazing result.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, larryleffaovell said:

The fun fact is that I did almost nothing. Retouching a white pixel here and there in the red lower part, maybe some in the space, but Upscayl did the whole rest without fumbling at it's parameters or anything. A really amazing result.

I'll check out Upscayl sometime. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

...and the last and missing picture where the "painting" found it's home!

image.thumb.jpeg.8dfb2bd0166a008802b0942b02e478a3.jpeg

Nice Atari snug you have there.

By contrast (and I am not posting a pic here heh heh) my Atari corner/shrine is a chaotic dump!

I do however have some original double page magazine adverts of the early 800/XL ranges and an original Llamasoft Colourspace magazine ad up on the walls. 

ColourSpace: A Light Synthesiser - videogames advert in the mid-'80s (Atari  8-bit/ST, BBC Micro) - retrogaming post - Imgur

I love the old later 70's/early 80's box art for the likes of the "killer app" Star raiders. 

Aside Star Raiders, what is ya fav Atari game - old or new?  If you had to pick one. :) 

Edit: a nice book to own is this btw:

THE ART OF ATARI - Degraded Orbit

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

Aah, "Art Of Atari"! A book I'm having too. A standard work everyone should have. There are some more books worth to read/own them! (see zafinnbooks)

My personal favorite A8 game? Hum, there are some, but the first that came into my mind are Star Raiders (what a surprise), Frogger, Rescue on Fractalus, Jungle Hunt (great conversion!), Space Shuttle Adventure, Blue Max, Canyon Climber ... (in random order). Too many to name them right now, but there were/are MANY games worth playin'!

• Like 2

Will check out the other books.

It's tricky to pick one I agree as so many genres.

The one that makes me smile and I keep coming back to (loved it as a kid too) is Henry's house. I love Rescue on Fractalus also and Alley cat is a classic, as well as Blinky's scary school. Flob is amazing, Atariblast! is a go to shooter. Adoom of course, (latter is amazing to see on a 1979 chipset), and is being optimised/finalised I believe for a final release sometime this year hopefully. Final Assault rocks and is very challenging.  Yoomp! of course, Scorch, and naturally it goes without saying Prince of Persia which was every bit worth the wait.

I need to give some time to the excellent Time Wizard and Tony, as well as Dude Story. 

Can't wait to play L'abbaye des morts as and when it get's released. :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

DO IT!!!  I hope you're installing a VBXE as well, I still have some ongoing projects for it.

Oh yeah, I already installed one! In addition to the VBXE games and demos, it's also nice to see converted photos on our 45yr old machines.

It's a shame that my father, who brought the first A400 home to us in 1981, can no longer see this. I'd love to see popping out an eye of his face.

• Like 1