IGNORED

Tumblers

A while back, I had an idea for a game mechanic of rolling a cube with different color sides.  Once I got something pretty decent to display in 2D for the 2600, the game Tumblers came together pretty soon after.  I enjoyed the challenge of fitting this game into 2K while implementing vertical scrolling and asymmetrical playfield for the first time.  I have included ROMs for NTSC and PAL60.  Game instructions are available as a .pdf download, but I have also included images of each instruction page below.

Tumblers has been pretty extensively tested.  So, excluding addressing any bug findings by the AtariAge community, I am calling this game complete.  I hope you enjoy.

Tumblers_NTSC.bin

Tumblers_PAL60.bin

Tumblers Instructions.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.d65e16b37cb716512c6e8bf6fb688478.jpeg     image.thumb.jpeg.70bdb51228489e342bd358922fd9ba04.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e00e428e2c3ef1f35fe92a9c232a852c.jpeg     image.thumb.jpeg.61b24d0c7d5acbde77fdef7f7e98d8c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f3d1bd68823852cc448c53314bea747.jpeg     image.thumb.jpeg.cf2ac88b9fd5f19f506c3de60c073585.jpeg

• Like 20

Thank you so much for having us host the Exclusive World Premiere of Tumblers last night on ZPH @Armscar Coder and for being in the chat to answer people's questions! It was a blast to play and try for decent score. 🙂 Here's the YouTube archive of the stream for those who missed it.

- James

This is a neat puzzle game, and impressive that it fits in just 2K, including a title screen and music!  This is going to require some practice to get good at, especially as it gets more difficult as the levels progress!

..Al

• Like 2

On 8/31/2024 at 2:03 AM, killersquirel said:

This game is awesome. This would be a great candidate to add to the Plus Cart High Score Club.

Hey @killersquirel, I am glad that you are enjoying playing Tumblers.  Simply put, I don't have the ROM space to add the code necessary for the PlusROM High Score Club.  My desire is to preserve Tumblers as a 2K ROM game and I am currently sitting at 0 bytes left.  Yeah, I could maybe scrounge up a byte here or there, but I would be really hard pressed to free up enough space to make it a PlusROM game.

Just curious, how high of a score have you gotten?

11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:
14 hours ago, Armscar Coder said:

Yeah, I could maybe scrounge up a byte here or there, but I would be really hard pressed to free up enough space to make it a PlusROM game.

There always is one more byte. Repeat. :) 

For the PlusROM HSC hacks I usually expand the 2K games to 4K, then I have enough space for the additional 40 bytes code. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

For the PlusROM HSC hacks I usually expand the 2K games to 4K, then I have enough space for the additional 40 bytes code. 😉

I think with some extra optimizing, this is not required here. I briefly checked the disassembly and already found 40+ bytes.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 7:10 AM, Armscar Coder said:

Yeah, I could maybe scrounge up a byte here or there, but I would be really hard pressed to free up enough space to make it a PlusROM game.

Just to be clear, I said "I" would be really hard pressed to free up enough space.

On 9/8/2024 at 3:21 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I think with some extra optimizing, this is not required here. I briefly checked the disassembly and already found 40+ bytes.

@Thomas Jentzsch, I haven't thoroughly reviewed my code lately, but towards the end of development about a month ago, I was looking at it pretty hard.  I am fairly sure, based on my own wits, that I would not be able to free up that much space.  I will say that I did use your suggestion you posted in the RAPTOR forum for reading/writing from/to the zero page using the X register instead of the Y register for indexing (at least where it was feasible), which did help.

I am always willing to hear suggestions on how to improve writing code.  So, with whatever you are willing to share, I am all ears.  I am also open to making a stab at adding the code necessary for the PlusROM HSC, as long as the optimization doesn't compromise any current elements of the game.

22 minutes ago, Armscar Coder said:

Thomas Jentzsch, I haven't thoroughly reviewed my code lately, but towards the end of development about a month ago, I was looking at it pretty hard.  I am fairly sure, based on my own wits, that I would not be able to free up that much space.  I will say that I did use your suggestion you posted in the RAPTOR forum for reading/writing from/to the zero page using the X register instead of the Y register for indexing (at least where it was feasible), which did help.

I am always willing to hear suggestions on how to improve writing code.  So, with whatever you are willing to share, I am all ears.  I am also open to making a stab at adding the code necessary for the PlusROM HSC, as long as the optimization doesn't compromise any current elements of the game.

No problem, I am always willing to help with optimizing for space. Should we do that via PMs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No problem, I am always willing to help with optimizing for space. Should we do that via PMs?

Yes, let's do that.  I imagine communicating via PMs will be more efficient and not clutter up the forums with a lot of back and forth.

• Like 3