IGNORED

Yellowed retail tray covers and tray sizes; working on protective boxes for TI software

OLD CS1

While working on getting TI Applications Software protective boxes designed, I found a couple of interesting things.

First, there appear to be two sizes of the tray-only packaging.  There is a thinner size which matches what is in the cardboard boxes (except for the hanging tab,) and the second is a thicker packaging which fit the Plato set (cartridge, two manuals, and two disks) and MBX games.

Is anyone aware of other sizes?

Secondly, I found two of the trays which have yellowed covers, but are not brittle as plastics yellowed from age usually are.  Were there yellow-tinted covers made, or are these simply one of the types of plastics which naturally yellowed with age?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

While working on getting TI Applications Software protective boxes designed, I found a couple of interesting things.

We want pictures ! 😁

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Secondly, I found two of the trays which have yellowed covers, but are not brittle as plastics yellowed from age usually are.  Were there yellow-tinted covers made, or are these simply one of the types of plastics which naturally yellowed with age?

I bet it's age. Never saw any yellow-tinted covers, but then I was, and is, only located in Denmark (Scandinavia, north Europe). 🙂

Personally, I like the cardboard design better, it's easier to reproduce and more eco-friendly than plastic these days.

Sadly, neither original design is good for afterwards to keep both manual and cartridge together and store on a shelf and still be easy enough accessible when you want.

I love to see a smaller version of the big 3 ring binder, one that fits nicely on a shelf and stores the manual and holds the cartridge as well.

Something like a thicker DVD case used for movies etc, but instead for the manual and cartridge.

8 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

We want pictures ! 😁

Patience.

8 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

I bet it's age. Never saw any yellow-tinted covers, but then I was, and is, only located in Denmark (Scandinavia, north Europe). 🙂

Pretty much my assumption, but I was trying not to make assumptions as both of them have yellowed with no perceptible differences between the two, and uniformly and completely across the plastic.  But, I cannot see any advantage to a clear yellow cover versus a clear cover, so being manufactured this way does not make sense to me.

7 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Personally, I like the cardboard design better, it's easier to reproduce and more eco-friendly than plastic these days.

Plastics have come a long way, baby.

Sadly, neither original design is good for afterwards to keep both manual and cartridge together and store on a shelf and still be easy enough accessible when you want.

No one who keeps things like these on a display shelf is worried about access to the cartridge or manual.

I love to see a smaller version of the big 3 ring binder, one that fits nicely on a shelf and stores the manual and holds the cartridge as well.

My big binders fit brilliantly on my self.  Sadly, the two shelves I have are the remainders of a six-shelf set I bought for $20 each way BITD.  I got rid of four of them for space and now I want them back.  Sadly, they are not longer made as manufacturers have gone to the stacked two-halves design rather than a full-height unit in a box.  I would have to build shelves if I want better than what is available in the store.  But, I am getting away from the topic.

• Like 1