IGNORED

Atari 2600 USB Controller Adapter

CardboardBox

I'm working on an adapter that lets you plug USB controllers into your Atari 2600.

Because a lot of USB controllers use proprietary interfaces, it's unlikely the adapter will ever be able to support all USB controllers. But I want to add support for more over time and maintain a list of compatible controllers. I also want to support mouse (as paddle controllers) and keyboard (as a joystick, with the ability for games to unlock the full keyboard).

I'm looking for people who want to test the adapter on more USB controllers, and also on a 7800 since I don't have one. If you have a flash cart (for firmware updates), a USB controller and an Atari 2600 and/or 7800, DM me and I may be able to send you one.

• Like 1

Which microcontroller are you using for that project?
maybe an SPI interface for Nintendo controllers could also be implemented without any major additional costs.
(a serial debug interface would also be cool to show the USB descriptor of the device for debugging purpose. this way other people could deliver the USB descriptor for further driver development)

Edited by WhyLee commotari.club

35 minutes ago, WhyLee commotari.club said:

Which microcontroller are you using for that project?
maybe an SPI interface for Nintendo controllers could also be implemented without any major additional costs.
(a serial debug interface would also be cool to show the USB descriptor of the device for debugging purpose. this way other people could deliver the USB descriptor for further driver development)

I'm using a PIC24FJ32GU202.

In the future I may make separate adapters for NES, SNES, N64 that reuse the code from this one. Not sure where to source the connectors though, I tried ordering some from AliExpress and they're unsurprisingly terrible (they fit very loosely so they fall out easily).

I plan on creating a debug ROM to go alongside the firmware update ROM, that will let you view the descriptors on the Atari. (Mostly because I think it would be fun to implement that way, rather than for any practical reason.)

• 2 weeks later...