IGNORED

9.9.99.... 25th Anniversary!

Hydro Thunder

Anyone else celebrating the milestone?  Admittedly, as a DC nut, I celebrate 9.9 every year by firing up the DC and running through some old favorites.

This year I actually took the day off work for extra celebrating.  :)  Not sure what I'll get into specifically, but thinking this year going beyond my traditional "best games" and getting into the secondary tiers of weird stuff.  Confidential Mission, EGG, Space Channel 5, Cannon Spike, Zombie Revenge, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Armada, Ooga Booga. 

As an owner of many Dreamcasts (one with GDEMU installed, two stock, etc), I also want to give a huge shout out to ReDream.  I just love the video output quality, and the extremely clean menu, and how fast everything loads.  Strongly recommend (of course only for the games you already own...heh).  Ran through a few rounds of Capcom Vs SNK 2, Dead or Alive 2, Hydro Thunder (heh), and Speed Devils today.  So easy just to switch over from my work screen and play a quick round or five between work tasks. :)

• Like 6

I will probably set it up on the 9th. I've been wanting to play Suzuki Alstare Racing (Redline Racer in other regions.) Speed Devils, you mentioned, one of my favorite games on the system as well. Something about those games back then, everything just clicked. unlike the soul-less carbon copies of racing games that came out in the mid-2000s and beyond. I know it's not just nostalgia, either. late 90s and early 2000s was peak era for racing games

• Like 1

I hooked up my DC a few weeks ago and played Ecco Defender of the Future up until Four Ways of Misery Mystery.  But I also played DOA2 and Marvel VS Capcom 1 .  I'm glad you reminded us about the 9/9 25th anniversary! I'm a bigger SEGA fan than I am an Atari fan, I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

I hooked up my DC a few weeks ago and played Ecco Defender of the Future up until Four Ways of Misery Mystery.  But I also played DOA2 and Marvel VS Capcom 1 .  I'm glad you reminded us about the 9/9 25th anniversary! I'm a bigger SEGA fan than I am an Atari fan, I'm afraid. 

Honestly I probably am too... but hard to say.  Sega and Atari are my favorite two gaming companies. :)

Well, tonight on 9/9, I dedicated 2 hours to playing my Dreamcast. 

4x4 Thunder came first, in its 60fps glory. A fun  arcade racer , very much of the late 90s era IMO, that I forgot about.  

Then VF3tb.  I played through the game as Akira, Pai, Taka. I beat Dural with Pai.  The game looks lovely and is fast paced and plays great. I really had fun relearning the moves and watching the excellent animation. I enjoy the stairs and slopes you must contend with.   The Sega sounds and tunes hit home, loved it. 

Then I played through GigaWing. Not on one CC, more like I used 10 continues.

I discovered that my office's Vizio flat-screen has a reactive brightness control.   I kept wondering why things looked subdued; playing Ecco the other week was a dark experience!  So I turned it off, and the DC HDMI visuals popped. Didn't p,ay Ecco tonight, because I wanted to actually have fun. I was tempted to put in Virtua Tennis but was getting tired. Save it for tomorrow night.  

I've been running through my namesake game, VF3, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Power Stone, Plasma Sword, Capcom Vs SNK 2 just for kicks.  Such great stuff.  I should get some caffeine one of these days and try my hand at Space Channel 5 (used to be pretty great at it, think I got 100% one time through), Demolition Racer: No Exit, Confidential Mission, and Armada.