IGNORED

Raspberry Pi 3 speed?

Jess Ragan

I dug my Raspberry Pi 3 out of mothballs recently to test it out. It's a lot slower than I remembered... Altered Beast and Bad Dudes won't even run at full speed! Is this the way it always was and I just don't remember it? Furthermore, my switching power supply doesn't seem to give it the juice it needs to run properly. I switched to a different power supply and while it's running better, it's still not as fast as I'd like it to be. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can boost the speed on this system? Overclocking is an option, but it shouldn't even be necessary for BAD DUDES.

What are you using to emulate the games?  Are you using a linux gaming distro or a general purpose OS?

It has been a few years sine I used a RPi3 for emulation but I found Lakka to be pretty good on the RPi3.  It emulated everything up to PS1 without any major issues.  Anything above that, no way. 

I'm currently running Batocera on a customized PowKiddy A12 tabletop.  It still uses the RK3128 in it that it came with, which is about 30% slower than a RPi3.  I've emulated many tiles up to and included PS1 and lots of MAME 2003 Plus games on it with no issues.  I suspect that if you run Batocera on your RPi3 using a decent micro SD card it should work fine.

It's Recalbox. I really ought to upgrade my SD card to something a little meatier, because 32GB is no longer cutting it.

(BTW, switching from Final Burn Alpha to MAME 2003 helped a lot on the speed front. But MAME 2003 doesn't have the same quality of emulation... I guess I'll try a more recent build.)