IGNORED

Why aren't there s-video cables for the 800?

I have poked around the net and found some info on the 800 monitor port supporting separate luma and chrome. One site said it was basically the pre-cursor to the s-video cable. Some sites have stories of people using an s-video cable. But I can't find any reliable info on making one or any sites that sell them. Why is this? I have a TV hooked up to my 800 right now that has an s-video input I'd love to take advantage of.

It's the same s-video cable as any Atari 8 bit computer. Make sure to get a properly shielded cable or make one yourself. Each signal should have it's own shield, Then another shield around the whole bundle. L C A (luma chroma audio) cable are not all built equal. It is indeed the precursor to s-video however the s-video standard also added more scan lines to the field hence more definition to our displays.

Some folks used to add a mod to either switch composite out completely on the XL/XE line or mix just enough in to avoid serious artifacts so as to have nice hires or software 80 column displays while still have some artifact color for software that relied on it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, djglish said:

Here is a place in the States that has a cable.  He's located in Wisconsin.  I've dealt with him and he gives great service.

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-xlxe-5-pin-din-to-s-video-composite-av-cable/

Yup. This is the cable that I'm currently using for all my 8-bits. Very well made.