IGNORED

Kaboom! Carts not working on my AV modded 4 port 5200

cyrusmartin

I'm having a weird issue. I bought a copy of Kaboom off ebay that was supposed to have been tested and working but when I tried it, I only get a black screen. I tried cleaning it several times and have never got it to work. I bought a replacement cart from a different seller and it was also supposed to be tested and working. It also does not seem to work. I only get a black screen when I start with either of them in the console. I tried hitting every button and direction on the controller and nothing started the game. Just a black screen.

All of my other games are working just fine.

I have a S-Video and composite modded console that I bought a while back.

It has played every game including homebrew titles with no problems.

I have over 50 games and have played all of them for extended periods with no issue.

Just Kaboom seems to not work.

Again, I have cleaned both carts several times with alcohol and even with deoxit.

I've cleaned the console's cartridge port as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am at a loss.

Thank you.

The same issue is present with most Decathlon carts as well. What I've found is that due to Activision using both slightly thinner PCBs, they also didn't seem to extend the contact fingers high enough and over time it becomes more and more difficult for the games to be read. 

Try inserting it fully, and then try pulling the cart up just a smidge and try again. I've found I have to do this with my Decathlon cart on pretty much every 5200 now as I use it in my servicing. Even with brand new cartridge ports on the consoles, I still have to do this, so it is an issue with the cartridges and not the systems.