IGNORED

WTB - Atari 830 Acoustic Modem

YSG2020

Damn.  Maybe that asking price is legit.  Do an ebay search but include sold and completed items.  🤷‍♂️

What am I missing about these prices?  I've got an 830 and an 850. The only practical use I've had for either in the past 35+ years is a source of 3086's or 6532's.

What can you do with an acoustic modem these days?  How could you even test it?  We still pay for a landline (yes, we're dinosaurs, my wife really likes the idea of keeping a home phone#) but have not owned a phone that would fit that 830 cradle for decades.

For the OP, my only advice is to be patient and flexible.  Look for local deals or the facebook marketplace, and be willing to buy an 830 as part of a multi-item lot.  810's were selling for absurd amounts not that long ago, but that market seems to have crashed.  Maybe the same will happen for 830's.

1 hour ago, AtariGeezer said:

I made the mistake 13 years ago for buying two of these for $100 each (I really wanted one bad) and they have been that high or higher ever since...

Don't feel bad; my old 830 still has the $125.00 sticker on it.  I thought that we had gone to heaven when we got our 835.  No more quickly putting the

phone in the 830 and walking around on eggshells!

DavidMil2

11 hours ago, burkhart87 said:

Damn.  Maybe that asking price is legit.  Do an ebay search but include sold and completed items.  🤷‍♂️

What am I missing about these prices?  I've got an 830 and an 850. The only practical use I've had for either in the past 35+ years is a source of 3086's or 6532's.

What can you do with an acoustic modem these days?  How could you even test it?  We still pay for a landline (yes, we're dinosaurs, my wife really likes the idea of keeping a home phone#) but have not owned a phone that would fit that 830 cradle for decades.

For the OP, my only advice is to be patient and flexible.  Look for local deals or the facebook marketplace, and be willing to buy an 830 as part of a multi-item lot.  810's were selling for absurd amounts not that long ago, but that market seems to have crashed.  Maybe the same will happen for 830's.

Sure... we had one on display at VCFMW... We actually did a demo of it during one of the Atari BBS Zoom meetings a short while back. 

You can still call the modern telnet BBS's with these things.  All you need is a PC with an actual modem running SexPots and something like the Viking Line Simulator or one of those PABX systems ($118 and $80 respectively.... yeah, the PBX system is cheaper but the line simulator is brain dead easy with no configuration).

But since the OP probably just wants it to sit on a shelf or table, I'll probably leave it at that.  Anyone else who's really interested might want to actually look in on the BBS club here or actually show up for one of our twice-monthly meetings. :)

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

I made the mistake 13 years ago for buying two of these for $100 each (I really wanted one bad) and they have been that high or higher ever since...

Then why was it a mistake?  Sounds like you could sell them for a nice profit if you don't actually want them anymore.

Actually, if anyone here bought the one on eBay that had the advertising poster along with it from a month or so back, could you scan that thing?  I wanted to buy it but honestly I just didn't need three 830's. :(

(Poster maybe not the right word since I think it was more 8.5" x 11" from the looks of it... still, would look great at the VCFMW table next year).  Curiously, the 830 and the phone I had with it were one of the biggest interest items next to the Atari sign. :)

• Like 1

Nope. Not going on a shelf.  I have the means to fully hook it up and use it as it was originally designed.. more or less. I use all of my 8 bit equipment and keep it running. No emulators or dusty static shelf collections here. :P

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

Nope. Not going on a shelf.  I have the means to fully hook it up and use it as it was originally designed.. more or less. I use all of my 8 bit equipment and keep it running. No emulators or dusty static shelf collections here. :P

Well...looking forward to seeing you on the BBSes then.... And who knows?  Maybe even on the Zoom chats?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tillek said:

Then why was it a mistake?  Sounds like you could sell them for a nice profit if you don't actually want them anymore.

That because after checking, they were being sold for around $50-$65 back then...  I don't regret buying them though.  Still need to buy a couple old style phones to use with them :)

43 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

That because after checking, they were being sold for around $50-$65 back then...  I don't regret buying them though.  Still need to buy a couple old style phones to use with them :)

Amazon has some "new" "old style" phones that seemed to work well enough if you can't find "the real thing". :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Amazon has some "new" "old style" phones that seemed to work well enough if you can't find "the real thing". :)

Cool, will have to check that out, thanks 👆...  I've only found wall mounted phones at thrift stores so far...

Just now, YSG2020 said:

Tillek or Geezer, how about you sell me one, and then we’ll each have one. ;) 

Dejavu,  a guy asked me a similar question but about the TeleLink carts when I had two many years ago.  Sorry, but not right now as it would cost me more to replace one than what I paid...

15 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Tillek or Geezer, how about you sell me one of your doubles, and then we’ll each have one. ;) 

Hmmmmm.... I was going to check your address from your account on my BBS... but... can't seem to find it. 😆

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Cool, will have to check that out, thanks 👆...  I've only found wall mounted phones at thrift stores so far...

Dejavu,  a guy asked me a similar question but about the TeleLink carts when I had two many years ago.  Sorry, but not right now as it would cost me more to replace one than what I paid...

Probably should have included the link....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QHKDRJ6

The handset didn't seem to fit 100% perfectly, but it worked when we demoed.  The light didn't work when hooked up to my Ooma box, but with the PABX or Viking Line Simulator it got enough power on the ring to light up just perfectly.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Yeah... Telelink I seemed easy enough to find (somehow I think I have 2 or three) but Telelink II was hard and not cheap.

1 minute ago, AtariGeezer said:

Yep true, same here.  I have about 3 of each and three 835's, but only one works at the moment...

Only managed to get one 835 so far... But I have a few 1050's and SX212's and XM301's to make up for it.

It was kind of funny at VCF Midwest to have the boxed ones, with the modem still in the box while I displayed one of the "not in box" on top of it.  Of course, the 830 with the phone was the thing most people "interacted" with.

Next year, I'll bring both 830's and get another phone and do a dueling banjos display where people can talk to each other.  An 800 and 400 next to each other, both running Telelink I with a viking line simulator between them... that could be cool.