IGNORED

WTB - Atari 830 Acoustic Modem

YSG2020

7 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Only managed to get one 835 so far... But I have a few 1050's and SX212's and XM301's to make up for it.

It was kind of funny at VCF Midwest to have the boxed ones, with the modem still in the box while I displayed one of the "not in box" on top of it.  Of course, the 830 with the phone was the thing most people "interacted" with.

Next year, I'll bring both 830's and get another phone and do a dueling banjos display where people can talk to each other.  An 800 and 400 next to each other, both running Telelink I with a viking line simulator between them... that could be cool.

Cool,  I should still have 2 boxed SX212's and 2 boxed XM301's too...  That why I want to keep both 830's to demo them connected up together using 2 old desk phones.  One day :)

6 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Cool,  I should still have 2 boxed SX212's and 2 boxed XM301's too...  That why I want to keep both 830's to demo them connected up together using 2 old desk phones.  One day :)

Even better, you should come to VCF Midwest (or I should come to VCF SoCal) and we can each bring just one and do the demo between us. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and add "Atari 830" to your watch list.  I see 1 was sold for $99.99 and another for $79.99 in the past few months...

That $79 one had the advertisement that I wanted. :(

But since I already had two I didn't want to spend that kind of money for a piece of paper.

Respectfully, I won’t need to buy off fleabay.  Atariage members here have been generous and giving in the past and I am faithful and thankful they will continue to be providing to our fellowship. Thx. 

Edited by YSG2020

22 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Somebody here must have an 830 collecting dust or hidden in a box they’d like to sell…. :)  Thx!

What about the guy from Spain?

I mean, honestly, I paid eBay prices for mine, so if you want one... guess what you're paying for it?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

What do you consider a fair value would be?  Reply here...

This seems more like one of those guys who can't afford the hobby so he wants to guilt us all into treating it like a charity.  Guess the Spaniard figured out what it was worth. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and add "Atari 830" to your watch list.  I see 1 was sold for $99.99 and another for $79.99 in the past few months...

The $99.99 one was mine. Had it listed on AtariAge Marketplace for several weeks with no takers... I would much rather have sold it here for many reasons.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Fair value would be under $100 shipped.  I don’t appreciate your tone nor attitude Tillek. Very greedy and sad. No need for such comments here.  We support each other here as enthusiasts.  Why the spite?  

So I got this from the YSG2020.....

Why are you making jealous smart ass comments on my recent posts?  You have no idea who I am.  I’d appreciate it if you grow up and stop if you don’t have anything positive or constructive to contribute without making yourself look like an ass to the entire community here.  Thx. 

First, I'm not jealous.  I have two of what you want and I was willing to pay the going rate because I wanted it.  I'm fed up with people who don't understand the free market economy and want something for free or lower than the value because... why again?  Because we have the same hobby?

I have no idea who you are?  You have no idea who I am.  I'm the guy who thinks people like you are whiners.  Things cost what they cost, but you want to cry about it.  You already said someone offered to sell you one, but you want to whine some more because he's on the wrong continent?  You might have to wait a few more days?  Ever actually order something from overseas?  It's not that long of a wait.

So now you want to insult me?  You think I'm greedy?  I don't sell my collection... I buy.  You want me to sell to you for less than I bought it for?  Insisting that someone sell you something for less than they can get elsewhere makes you a thief in my book.  You're literally coercing and guilting people into throwing away money by selling to you under "market value".  You don't even have a clue what their financial situation might be and how much they need that money and what it's doing to them inside to sell their stuff to feed their family.  You're a whining thief  in my book.  Why am I obligated to "support" you because we have the same hobby?

Good luck panhandling... hope you can live with yourself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Fair value would be under $100 shipped.  I don’t appreciate your tone nor attitude Tillek. Very greedy and sad. No need for such comments here.  We support each other here as enthusiasts.  Why the spite?  

Keep looking on ebay then.  Being an AA member doesn't entitle you to 50% to 70% off Fair Market Value of what other members have paid for.  @Tillek is just voicing what others here are probably thinking.  It's not greed, it's inflation...  Most of everything Atari I have bought on ebay in the past 13 years has either Doubled or even Quadrupled in price.

An 830 alone is worth a min of $75,  if you get a power adapter, RS-232 cable or Box included, you're talking more $$ for each...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, AtariGeezer said:

Keep looking on ebay then.  Being an AA member doesn't entitle you to 50% to 70% off Fair Market Value of what other members have paid for.  @Tillek is just voicing what others here are probably thinking.  It's not greed, it's inflation...  Most of everything Atari I have bought on ebay in the past 13 years has either Doubled or even Quadrupled in price.

An 830 alone is worth a min of $75,  if you get a power adapter, RS-232 cable or Box included, you're talking more $$ for each...

Yeah, that's a good point... one of my 830's didn't come with a power supply, so on top of that, I had to fork out $30 for that too.

It's not even inflation, it'd demand.  When I was showing my BBS stuff off at VCF Midwest this past weekend, the #1 item at my tables that generated interest was the 830 Acoustic Modem.  The Falcon was #2.  The C128 was #3 (damn heathens).

6 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Tillek I’m sorry for the losses in your life that have made you what you are. I sincerely hope things turn around for you and you get the  help you need. 

Aw... sorry man... here... fill this out.

image.jpeg.2f96df263cd9a86044a5a909e87105f1.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, AtariGeezer said:

Nope.  I'd report it if he tried...  That PM he sent you was uncalled for...

Eh, I've had worse.  I can be a prick, I'll freely admit that... but this time all I did was call out a guy (even more in a teasing way) who didn't want to pay "fair" prices for something and even rejected the guy who made him a deal because he was from Spain.  Then he went straight to insulting by insinuating things about my life.  He's a loser and I would discourage anyone from cutting him a break because "community".  If anyone has something they want to sell cheap to a fellow enthusiast, I'm 100% certain there are more deserving souls out there than this guy.

But for what it's worth, I did get a kick out of him "not appreciating my tone or attitude".

• Haha 1

Guys, please stick to the subject without attacking each other and calling each other names, okay? It's not a crime to try and get something for a better price, or not wanting to buy something on eBay. I'd also much prefer to buy something from someone here rather than eBay. Doesn't mean you'll succeed, but this thread has gone off the rails. Please don't make me lock it. 

Thank you,

..Al

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1