IGNORED

tandy 1000TL with XT-IDE

haightc

So it seems like with it set to disk vs rom boot, it'll still use tandy dos 3.2 so I'll get an error if there is any other partition type is just says no.     If I hit E quickly at boot it will boot from the CF instead of tandy DOS.   Is this the normal expected behavior?  I didn't see any option in in the XTIDEcfg to change this default behavior.    XT-IDE wiki page is little out of date so I took me several attempts with get it to work

So if I moved from c800h to d800h and reran xtidecfg...   now I boot my 512mb CF card into DOS5 but doing so broke being able to boot into my 32mb card.     I also told it specifically I had three floppy drives, the xt-ide drive specifically goes to boot drive "D:" when booting my my 3rd (51/4) drive become D and my HD is C:.      Making two partitions seems to break the ROMboot option, so have a 32mb partition that can be accessed by tandy DOS and having a larger partion  isn't an option

If you are using MS-DOS 5 you cannot use/access the internal Tandy ROM DOS at all while using it. It is either one or the other. The only way you can install DOS on the CF in the XT-IDE and still have access to the ROM drive is to install the DOS version that came with the TL. If you use that version you will have access to the ROM drive (it will move down the chain...if you have the CF as drive C, rom will be drive D, etc.)

I chose not to use the DOS that came with the TL/2 as there are too many issues with partitioning. FDISK doesn't work right and while you can get around that by FDISKing the CF using a MS-DOS 5 boot floppy and then go back and install the older DOS (in my case it is 3.30) still it is not as usable as MS-DOS 5.

So, I use MS-DOS 5 and do not use the TL/2 ROM at all. I just downloaded Deskmate from Winworld and installed it in MS-DOS 5. So, nothing really lost.

Edited by eightbit

I forgot about winworld, my 1000tl floppy don't have HD install option and version expects deskmate in ROM to be accessible.   I'll try installing the last version into the 512mb CF.    I may try getting the 32mb version to work with original OS.   Not really set on Tandy DOS or DOS5 yet.    I had a Tandy 1000tl/2 after a 1000 hx when I was a teen, so I am just looking to explore some nestolgia

• Like 1

with 3.05 from winworld it seems like running it is way slower that I remember back in the day on my TL/2....    Is something weird going on with the my setup?   I have issues with the images, so I had to source from multiple place to get the installer to work.   I would keep on getting errors about not find a file when it was clearly on the disk.    I might just try wiping the disk and just install the deskmate from the 1000/tl disks only, now that I know how to figure out how to install deskmate.     Is there a way to boot into ROM and still have acess to the HD with xt-ide?       I swear when I was a kid I remember the machine was with in deskmate in seconds and programs loaded pretty quick.    At some point we had upgraded to to a newer DOS, it had qbasic, dosshell... it must have been 5 but could have sworn it was 6, but 5 was the last one that came on 720k floppys.    We aslo must gotten a VGA card because I remember playing games like commander keen which didn't have a a TGA version.    It stopped working because there was an issue with ROM and at that point I think we upgrade to a 386 machine but I don't think I was allowed 386 machine and moved over to a apple IIgs.  This is all been a long time ago obviously so I wouldn't be surprised if my memory is flawed/incorrect.