IGNORED

Knabber Rob 2024 - Does the screen roll?

Gemintronic

Hey there fellas!

Working on the Neo Games release of Knabber Rob.  Basically re-writing the engine.. and, not sure if I'm rolling the screen.

This is a super unfinished, bleeding edge build.  Right now all you can do is find a castle and open the gate to get the chalice.  You must bring it back to your cave and repeat.  Walls are a suggestion.  Meaning, you can sometimes weasel your way through them.  But, each collision reduces your time.  When all the hourglasses have been used up it's game over.

The overworld has 4 territories.  Rooms can change based on the direction you entered from.  Typically each room has 2 set variations.  Some rooms are flooded and tug you along.  Some rooms have moving parts.  Some rooms are flooded AND move.

FIRE lets you fly over walls for a short duration.    NTSC only.

LEFT or RIGHT on the title screen changes the difficulty level.  Mode III disables the radar guiding you to the next target.

SUPER  UNFINISHED TEST BUILD: krscreenrollorno.bin

kr2024.thumb.png.9dc13c79153cc6fd48e97949b7e5cb1b.png

• Like 2

Thanks and I'll check it out.   If you don't mind me picking your game design brain, I'd like to ask a few questions.   Are you programming in ASM, bB (if so, which kernel?), or some other method?   Is there a significance to the character that it grows in size when flying over the walls?    Looks good regardless and I look forward to trying it out tonight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Thanks and I'll check it out.   If you don't mind me picking your game design brain, I'd like to ask a few questions.   Are you programming in ASM, bB (if so, which kernel?), or some other method?   Is there a significance to the character that it grows in size when flying over the walls?    Looks good regardless and I look forward to trying it out tonight.

It's using the multi-sprite kernel:

rem //** SYSTEM OPTIONS **//

set smartbranching on
 set debug cycles
 includesfile multisprite_bankswitch.inc
 set tv ntsc
 set kernel multisprite
 set romsize 32k

Since it's a top-down view game I figured making the character larger would indicate getting closer to the "camera" thus getting higher.  Alternating between normal and larger versions to add a little extra animation without using ROM space.  Also, changing NUSIZ0 is less CPU intense than managing a sprite based animation system.

if bit_flying && counter{4} then NUSIZ0 = $05
 drawscreen

• Like 1

Thanks!  I wasn't expecting multisprite but I'm looking forward to see what you do with it as it's a lowkey kernel fascination of mine personally.   Do you expect the 32k to be limiting in terms of ROM size for the scope/features you hope to include?   I don't really have a good personal frame of coding reference in that regard given my relative lack of experience.