IGNORED

The official PlayStation Portable (PSP) thread...probably

The Vita should be included here too since Adrenaline will literally turn it into a PSP and you can play PSP games on the PlayStation TV since that is literally a Vita made into a console.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RARusk said:

The Vita should be included here too since Adrenaline will literally turn it into a PSP and you can play PSP games on the PlayStation TV since that is literally a Vita made into a console.

I think the Vita and PSTV should be included only for discussion of PSP games.  Those are entirely different systems, just as the PS2 was a different system from the PS1 but could play PS1 games.

I was just playing some PSP over the last few weeks, both OG and emulated.  By far two of my favorite games of all time are PSP Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer 2.  They emulate well at full HD, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akator said:

I think the Vita and PSTV should be included only for discussion of PSP games.  Those are entirely different systems, just as the PS2 was a different system from the PS1 but could play PS1 games.

I was just playing some PSP over the last few weeks, both OG and emulated.  By far two of my favorite games of all time are PSP Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer 2.  They emulate well at full HD, too.

I agree. "Ridge Racer!" Driver '76 is also good, awesome music!

Psp, wasn't to much into it, but it has one of my all-time favorite games ever. Locoroco! Yeah, great game, cute. Of course if you want it now you could get the ps4 versions. I just picked it up on a whim, found the system at a pawnshop for $100 (when it was still going for damn near $200 new) and it come with grand theft auto. Not a bad game, pretty cool, but I'd not really followed or researched it, and needed a game. Went to the store and most games are something I'd rather play on a console, due to sheer playtime, got the rest of the GTA games over the years, but that first trip I picked up patapom (sp?, beat game, didnt like it) and one with a yellow blob on the cover. Fell in love and played WAY to much for the next decade. 2come out, and I picked it up too. No regrets.

• Like 1

Bought my 2000 'slim' a few years ago for about £80/$104 in mint condition, screen hasn't got a mark on it.

I have not modified it or added custom firmware, maybe eventually.

I just enjoy collecting the physical UMD games and movies because they're so unique. Most are fairly affordable anyway..

DSC_0002.JPG

Yeah, part of the psp problem was most the titles on it were available on console, so unless you just want it on the go, there's little incentive to get one. I love handheld, not being tied to a tv, but I'm an exception, not a norm.

Forgot about additional features, internet, of course, but mine may have been partially bricked by a previous owner an never could do that for some reason. I used the 2k I bought later a bit, not great, but worked. I got a 3k towards the end, and even the component and composite cables for it. It ran os at full screen, but games were letter and pillerboxed, with no open to full screen natively.

Forgot about movies, no idea how many titles exist (there was a dozen or so on gba, think I have all those) but psp looked great from the few titles I ever saw. Think it had thousands, but Sony was already tapering off on those by the time I took interest, so never really got into them

It also did great as a music player, not counting using gba movie cart (which used a custom format, but could be used to play music) the psp was my third mp3 player, I used that a lot. Handled 320 with no fuss, some actual players of the time choked on 320 (but usually would play the music, after thinking about it awhile)

Psp was/is an awesome little device, unfortunately coming out at exactly the wrong time, DS (psp imo is superior) came out, and of course in 07 the first true smartphones, of course superior quality music players, and psp essentially got buried in the onslot of other products of the time. Add to that the tiny number of exclusive titles, the non exclusives were usually better on console, and it was doomed from the start. It still did surprisingly well, everything considered, getting multiple updates and even spawning a successor. Had psvita and pstv taken discs out of the box, it may have done better, but with even Sony competing against it, it was going to have numbered days.

• 2 weeks later...