IGNORED

Fired my 65XE

sideburn

3 minutes ago, sideburn said:

So they are both the same. Thats not jiving with the schematic. 

I just checked the Atari 130XE schematic and what you have doesn't match what I see there, either.  That isn't necessarily unusual, unfortunately.

Can you trace out everything related to your crystal, it's connection to Freddie, those 2 resistors, and those 2 capacitors, and post a picture of your schematic here?

While I am not an electronic wizard, maybe somebody else can also take a look at what actually exists.  I also have a suspicion, based on my limited experience, as to what Atari may have done.

16 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

I just checked the Atari 130XE schematic and what you have doesn't match what I see there, either.  That isn't necessarily unusual, unfortunately.

Can you trace out everything related to your crystal, it's connection to Freddie, those 2 resistors, and those 2 capacitors, and post a picture of your schematic here?

While I am not an electronic wizard, maybe somebody else can also take a look at what actually exists.  I also have a suspicion, based on my limited experience, as to what Atari may have done.

Yeah so the device manual had all of the variations you have to match the schematic to the numbers on the board. But even then it’s not accurate apparently. 

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The caps should be valued at 10 and 18 per the schematic spec, so that's borked by a huge margin

Interestingly I just looked at the Remake project and the capacitors in the oscillator are as mentioned here:-

image.thumb.png.84d70c442430d8c38e4eff4479ea3247.png

My 130XE has 22pF and 18pF as far as I can tell:-

image.thumb.png.dac9282d5834bd315d418ebceb588cbb.png

It is not unusual for the circuit to be tuned to the crystal batch that was used, which we discussed in another thread, and in one of those discussions I gave links to help an individual learn to adjust his caps for what he had. The journey was a success and the 3 different crystal and their runs were sorted out. Not all tuning forks are made equal so to speak.

We just want a a close enough heart beat to get him up an running we will tune later if need be.

My thoughts are to replace each component with what was already there and working, you can use the color codes to do that, regardless of the schematic with or without inaccuracies

So replacing a cap with a cap and not resistors is a good start.

Getting the in spec caps even better.

We aren't sure what specific schematics are even being used at this point as a few are mentioned.

If we start throwing remakes demakes, other crystal numbers and frequencies in here the waters will get so muddy no one will be able to see.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Ceftainly of the many PAL XE machines (65XE/130XE and 800XE),  I've seen  - they either come with a crystal or an oscillator.  Just as a passing comment the XE PAL system clock crystal is 14.187578 and is not compatible with the 400/800/800XL(stock 800XL), 600XL or 1200XL. It can however be used in an 800XLF.

image.thumb.png.b7235fc7d7c8b22f3309ad73f159454c.png    image.png.5f7298d2b41a1eec8437e84b8fb563d8.png

• Like 1