IGNORED

Vectrex HSC Oct 2024 Vectrexagon

TheCurlyBard

HSCBigLogoForum.png.702973508970082b32bf70fae01b0d68.png

Round 9 - October 2024 - Vectrexagon

This is the current round being played in the Vectrex High Score Club. Join in and submit your scores!

Closing date is 31 Oct 23:59 PST

Current scores & ranking:

Easy

Carey85 323:58

Lord Innit 113:78

playvectrex 110:12

hcmffm 91:38

TheCurlyBard 65:32

Hard

Carey85 98:32

playvectrex 67:08

Lord Innit 57:56

TheCurlyBard 50:36

hcmffm 49:08

Vectrexagon

vvgon2.jpg

Vectrexagon is a very fast and frantic game developed by Andreas Gustafsson(†). Music by Yerzmyey/AY Riders.

Simply navigate through the ever closing hexagons and survive as long as possible.

Availability

Packrat Video Games sells a nice physical version:

https://www.packratvg.com/vsfrenzy.html

Alternatively, you can name your price and download the rom here:

https://sdwdevelopments.itch.io/vectrexagon

Settings

Both easy and hard mode! Please say which one your score is for, we'll have separate boards this month.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

I think I prefer the buttons too. Can't decide if it's actually using the analogue on the stick or not, but Vector Pilot has me hooked on button controls now. I'm using one of Victor's controllers, and buttons may be a bit too sensitive here. I'll try the og tomorrow, but my heads spinning right now

23:74

20241001_211346.jpg

• Like 2

I actually never played EASY until yesterday by accident and it was a lot more fun :D 
After playing both EASY and HARD, I can say that HARD mode runs a bit faster overall and pushes my reflexes beyond their limit.
Because of this I'm getting high scores only when I'm getting lucky to have let go of the buttons at just the right spot because there's basically no time to course correct.
Most of the time on HARD I'm getting low scores, and once in a long while I get a lucky streak.  That 49:08 was a very lucky third try.
EASY mode is just a bit easier to see when you need to let go, or correct your position... at least for me.

Since we are playing for an entire month, and there's two modes... it might be worth it to allow scores to be submitted for both EASY and HARD modes, and make a leaderboard for both?  I'd volunteer to keep the boards up to date if you wanted the help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playvectrex said:

I actually never played EASY until yesterday by accident and it was a lot more fun :D 
After playing both EASY and HARD, I can say that HARD mode runs a bit faster overall and pushes my reflexes beyond their limit.
Because of this I'm getting high scores only when I'm getting lucky to have let go of the buttons at just the right spot because there's basically no time to course correct.
Most of the time on HARD I'm getting low scores, and once in a long while I get a lucky streak.  That 49:08 was a very lucky third try.
EASY mode is just a bit easier to see when you need to let go, or correct your position... at least for me.

Since we are playing for an entire month, and there's two modes... it might be worth it to allow scores to be submitted for both EASY and HARD modes, and make a leaderboard for both?  I'd volunteer to keep the boards up to date if you wanted the help.

Yeah OK, I was wondering if we could do both modes. I'll definitely be using easy to practice 

• Like 2

After completely missing out Space Frenzy, I better join in early. Vectrexagon is really an excellent game, developer Andreas Gustafsson and musician Yerzmyey did an excellent job. And great that it's still available both as physical cartrigde and dowload (donationware).

Excellent scores, @Carey85, let's see how close we can get. 😉

I played on original hardware (console + controller)

Easy: 77:94

20241004_174627_resized.thumb.jpg.50ae0eecb4e1d97d3690a3bfb48fe524.jpg

Hard: 35:74

20241004_174853_resized.thumb.jpg.0485e0018e495381bfd4cf5642fd39d0.jpg

Edited by hcmffm

18 minutes ago, hcmffm said:

After completely missing out Space Frenzy, I better join in early. Vectrexagon is really an excellent game, developer Andreas Gustafsson and musician Yerzmyey did an excellent job. And great that it's still available both as physical cartrigde and dowload (donationware).

Just an FYI to anyone who didn't know, Andreas "Sdw" Gustafsson passed away about a year and a half ago:

• Sad 2