IGNORED

800Xl replacement 4 keyboard ribbon cable

whomper

Hi,

I've been happily modding my 800XL only to find out that (perhaps) after many times opening and closing the case, the keyboard ribbon cable is now causing issues. It has visible sign of a dent that may have broken a few traces. Wiggling it a bit creates proper connection for a few keys (grey ones to be precise) only to find out it is not stable.

Is there a replacement ribbon cable I can use or some other method of properly securing connection?

2 hours ago, kheller2 said:

How about a picture of the problem cable section?  The plastic film ones can usually be cut with scissors, to a point.  

indeed. You can cut up to 10mm (from memory) from the clear plastic type. Just don't cut more than you have to as you'll leave it too short. Also, you may need to peel off the rigid plastic backing on the edge to reapply it once the cable is shortened. The rigid plastic strip helps you to push the ribbon into the 24 pin connector.

As mentioned above post an image so we know what you have and what state it's in. Sometimes the pins on the connector can also cause an issue. Been there 100's of times over the years.

Here are pics of the ribbon cable. Playing to find the fault I had broken a few traces on the side connected to my keyboard so I spent yesterday evening peeling off insolation and soldering it back into the keyboard end (naturally, had to take that apart with all the little thingies....).

Now I'm back with the START button and Led giving me grief...

IMG_8301.jpeg

IMG_8302.jpeg