IGNORED

My gas hog is green !!

UK WOMBLE

Hi all,

Please can you help me, I am trying to determine if my gas hog is pal or ntsc. I bought it in the UK, so its probably pal, but i know for a fact the guy it came from is a collector (Sometimes posts on here) who often buys from the US, he was the one who won the recent river patrol on ebay , I'm sure some of you saw that.

The problem is, my phillips tv is fairly high hz rate for UK, as I originally got it to play foreign PS2 games a while ago. So the screen wont roll on ntsc games.

I am playing it on a standard pal 2600 (Im sure of that at least), and the land comes up green, but on the AA screenshots it is shown as pink.

One more thing to add is this, I have pal and ntsc Donkey Kong, the pal version shows a brown kong (Obviously), but the ntsc has a green kong, maybe this is relevant, I'm not sure....

Do pal colours ever differ from ntsc when same game is played on the correct formats, eg. pal cart on pal tv, ntsc cart on ntsc tv ?

Does anyone out there have both versions and know what the deal is with this, I really want to know what version this is.

If anyone can explain I will be forever in their debt (But not sexually ! :D )

Thanks,

Si

This game is confusing. The NTSC version (262 scanlines) runs in pink on Z26, green when in PAL palette mode (but still, of course, 60Hz 262 lines).

In other words, Spectravideo didn`t change the colour palette when they made the NTSC version, they just changed the number of scanlines, so the NTSC version comes out pink. Interesting....

I thought the little "part number" in the lower right corner of the top label on SpectraVideo games tells whether the game is PAL or NTSC. For instance, take Bumper Bash...

I have an NTSC version and the part number is: "SA 218"

I believe that the PAL version has a "C" after the 8.

GAS HOG = "SA 217"

MASTER BUILDER = SA 210"

These are the rare SpectraVideo games that I have and maybe I am wrong about the numbers but I really think that a PAL Bumper Bash has an extra letter at the end. Anyone??

I thought the little "part number" in the lower right corner of the top label on SpectraVideo games tells whether the game is PAL or NTSC. For instance, take Bumper Bash...  

I have an NTSC version and the part number is: "SA 218"  

I believe that the PAL version has a "C" after the 8.  

GAS HOG = "SA 217"  

MASTER BUILDER = SA 210"  

These are the rare SpectraVideo games that I have and maybe I am wrong about the numbers but I really think that a PAL Bumper Bash has an extra letter at the end. Anyone??

I'm not sure about that really, this one is 'spectravideo' labelled rather than 'spectravision'. The part no. has no letter after it.

My Mangia (Thanks Cassidy :) ) is pal and has no letter after the part no. I also have a number of other 'UK bought ' spectra label games, and none have that letter you mention.

It seems the video/vision label differences mean nothing though, as my mangia is spectravideo and pal, and I have spectravision labelled carts that I bought in the UK and I think are pal as well.

I thought i would get this cracked today actually, as I got a 'spectravideo' labelled planet petrol in the post, I already have what I assumed to be a pal 'Spectravision' PP cart, so was going to compare them using my pal 2600.

Would have learnt something from this, had my power adaptor not been left on last night and overheated, its totally bolloxed :x And so it would seem am I :sad:

No 2600 for me till I have time to go shopping........ :sad:

Hope this confuses you all as much as it does me :twisted:

Si

You left the power adapter on? You mean you left it plugged in? Big deal...that shouldn't have killed it. I have all the power adapter from all of my consoles plugged in 24/7 some for months without ever being used. I still have them all to this day..and many of them are going on 15+ years now...

So..did you leave the atari on also? That would at least explain the overheating as the adapter was then actually drawing some real current for some real use. But just leaving the plugged in shouldn't kill them off and make them overheat!

I will tell you that my PC room is the warmest room in the house between my 3 PCs, and my 12 or so console adapters all plugged in...hehe...

No, I dont understand it either. I left the power lead plugged in, but must have knocked the connector out of the 2600, so it shouldnt have been drawing on anything atall.

Next thing I know I'm upstairs in my office a few hours later, on the pc and I smell burning, go downstairs and the adaptor is red hot and melting ??

Unplugged it (Obviously), and left it alone. Today I go to use my 2600 to test the 100+ carts that turned up today in the post, and it won't bloody work. :x

Tried the adaptor in both my 2600's, neither could draw power from it, and I only have 1 power supply :sad:

Totally baffled, must have been a piece of crap. Did'nt look like the original atari one anyway, looks very old as well....... still though, it shouldnt have happened :x

Si

HI,

I have just tried my "NTSC" version on gas hog on a PAL console and the ground is green like you have mentioned. I have tried to play it on an NTSC console but my color TV won't handle it and its pointless trying it on the black and white as we are looking for colours here.

Hope you find out soon which it is simon.

HI,  

I have just tried my "NTSC" version on gas hog on a PAL console and the ground is green like you have mentioned. I have tried to play it on an NTSC console but my color TV won't handle it and its pointless trying it on the black and white as we are looking for colours here.

Hi A. no interesting emails from you lately, got anything nice recently ? :D

Si

Yeah just got "River Patrol - Tigervision" as you know as its a pretty awful game to play. Nice to have though and I now have all the games by Tigervision at last... :wink:

Finding it a struggle now to carry on, can't seem to find anything new.

I have completed the range by Spectravision/Spectravideo,Parker brothers, 20Th century fox, US games, Bomb and of course Tigervision.