IGNORED

Best text editing workflow?

phoney

I'm getting back to programming after a break, but I've forgotten some of the cross-platform workflows I was using.

Specifically, the best workflow for getting text files off an ATR on an SD card, editing them on my PC, and then reinjecting them back into the ATR. What's the current state of the art?

My code needs to be tested, debugged, and run on my actual Atari because it uses both my Fujinet and my 1020 printer. But it would really help if I could copy and paste between some files, etc, which as we all know is quite difficult on the Atari and easy on the PC. Suggestions?

5 hours ago, phoney said:

Specifically, the best workflow for getting text files off an ATR on an SD card, editing them on my PC, and then reinjecting them back into the ATR. What's the current state of the art?

I always found an SIO2PC the most useful for developing between a PC and Atari hardware. Nothing needs to be on an ATR or an SD card. Any files can sit on your PC and be seen, accessed, and edited by your Atari and PC at the same time.

4 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

You could install a TNFS server on your PC.  You store the ATR on the PC, and then access the ATR on the Atari using your Fujinet.  The Fujinet connects to the PC over TNFS.

I use this option. It works well.

In addition I have the TNFS root folder shared as a writeable Windows/SAMBA share so that I can reach it with both a Windows laptop PC or Fujinet.

I am running the Atari 8-bit peripheral emulator RespeQt and the Atari 8-bit emulator Altirra on the laptop and I prefer the RespeQt method of creating ATR files in the TNFS folder. Once one ATR image has been created it can be duplicated for more images using Windows file manager.

As a bonus, both Fujinet and RespeQt with SIO2PC allow the choice of lower POKEY divisors which can increase SIO speed and allow data transfers of over 100 bps over HSIO and the network.

If you are using real SIO storage, higher SIO speed options do rely on modified Atari hardware, where the SIO capacitors have been removed, but well worth doing for the increased speed when loading and copying.

It also helps if you have an enhanced 1050 disk drive with a track buffer too. i.e Happy, Lazer, Speedy.

What other hardware are you using @phoney?

Incidentally Altirra does 1020 now too!

I am using an 800 with a Fujinet and 1020. I am running a TNFS server on a Raspberry Pi on my network which connects to both the 800 and my PC. I'm using LiteDOS because I'm trying to make the most of my 48K.

So ... the issue isn't accessing the ATR. It's using a PC to edit the text files (FastBasic programs) in the ATR. I guess the question is "is there an accelerated way to send a SINGLE TEXT FILE between your Atari and your PC, which can handle the ASCII/ATASCII conversion as part of the transfer?" Much as I like random hardware, I don't want to have to buy a whole SIO2PC, and I feel like there's gotta be a way to do this in software. Like ... a script on the Atari which can copy a text file to a new text file on a TNFS server accessed through N:, or read one? Maybe?

Right now my workflow (after doing some more research) is:

• In Altirra, open up my ATR and a second, MyDOS ATR
  • Copy the file I want onto the MyDOS ATR
  • Open up the MyDOS ATR with Disk Explorer in Altirra (because Disk Explorer can't read the LiteDOS ATR)
  • Drag my files out of the ATR to a folder on my PC
  • Use AAC to convert the files from ATASCII to ASCII
  • Edit the files in Notepad++
  • Use AAC to convert it back into ATASCII
  • Use Disk Explorer to inject it back into the MyDOS ATR
  • Copy back onto the LiteDOS ATR using Altirra
  • Run the ATR on my Atari