IGNORED

Atari 130XE Setup: As Good as it Got?

Presented here is my Atari 130XE setup.

Atari 130XE

Atari XF551 floppy disk drives

Atari XEP80 on an A/B Switch

Atari XMM801 9-pin dot-matrix printer

ICD MIO 1MB

16 MB SCSI hard disk (BlueSCSI housed in Supra Atari Hard Disk enclosure)

SpartaDOS X Cartridge

I have endeavored to keep it as "period accurate" as possible.  I define the term as meaning "limited to the functionality and interfaces that would have been available at the time of market viability".  Questions of style preference and build quality aside, and with a focus on gaming and basic home office, is this as good as it got?

image.thumb.jpeg.c0649ac4fe7f50c173598f2041908da4.jpeg

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 4

To answer the question though, other than a 256k Rambo on an 800xl, yeah, I think you're nailing it... and I have that same disk notcher. :)

Well, except that you're failing on the Modem to call BBS's.  Normally I'd recommend the WiModem 232 Pro, but to keep it "looking" period specific, maybe the Tattler Solutions Wifi Modem (he's also coming up with a version for the USR Sportsters) https://tempestfpga.com/

Or, if you REALLY want to go old-school, use a REAL modem (in your case, an SX212 naturally) and a Viking Line Simulator https://www.amazon.com/Viking-DLE-200B-Two-Way-Line-Simulator/dp/B004PXK314  connected to a PC with a modem running SexPots. :)

4 minutes ago, Tillek said:

So you got a BlueSCSI working with the MIO?

Funny you ask.  No, I haven't done that yet.  Based on the conversation we enjoyed in "that other" thread, I have high confidence.  Your current question is knocking that back a bit.  But since there might be some interest in the "how" of it all, I'll make sure to roughly document the process should I get it up and running.

2 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Or, if you REALLY want to go old-school, use a REAL modem (in your case, an SX212 naturally) and a Viking Line Simulator https://www.amazon.com/Viking-DLE-200B-Two-Way-Line-Simulator/dp/B004PXK314  connected to a PC with a modem running SexPots. :)

Damn you, Tillek.  Damn you to hell. 😃

Just now, pixelmischief said:

Funny you ask.  No, I haven't done that yet.  Based on the conversation we enjoyed in "that other" thread, I have high confidence.  Your current question is knocking that back a bit.  But since there might be some interest in the "how" of it all, I'll make sure to roughly document the process should I get it up and running.

Well, some of us have been trying... we just haven't managed to figure it out.  BF2k+ already explored my idea of going back to the old firmware and configuring a C/H/S setup but... alas... no joy.  My next attempt will try to configure a known working drive as best as possible as an image and see if that works... but hearing that other devices work, there is hope... and for those who bought a BlueScsi, the ability to clone a drive through Initiator mode means I would never consider it a waste of money for my toolbox... but yeah, if we can figure out how to make it work, that'd be amazing).

1 minute ago, pixelmischief said:

Damn you, Tillek.  Damn you to hell. 😃

We actually have used that on the BBS Community chat a few times to test some of the modems like the 830 and 835... but to be honest, if you REALLY take it seriously (and by that I mean you're going to have a room full of modems.........)

This is cheaper, but would require configuration (the Viking Line Simulator is brain dead simple... you pick up one line, the other line rings.. Perfect if you want to demo two 830's!)

https://www.amazon.com/Excelltel-SOHO-PBX-Telephone-Control-Exchange/dp/B015MIQ12A

Just now, pixelmischief said:

I'm not particularly opposed to adventure, but I rate convenience higher.  What "other devices work"?

Word on the street, ZuluSCSI works.... But I haven't tried it and BF2k+ has had some issues (but others have reported that it works, including the guy who wrote the "new" MIO firmware if I recally right).  I can tell you I got an AztecMonster working, but good luck finding one (I'd kill for another since I prefer CF cards).  I have a SusanoMonster I want to try, and I've heard the SCSI2SD works as well (SusanoMonster is a variant of that).  I actually was planning to use a Susano Monster in this case for my ST's as a "transfer" device.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/326014204753

There are many variations of the ZuluSCSI, but this one (if it works) would be perfect for an MIO with one of those 50pin IDC to DB25 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335554789883

But I'm also looking to try the RaSCSI/PiSCSI with Uwe Seimet's SCSI2PI firmware mostly for the "remote" options (but ultimately, I plan to use that for my ST BBS).

Oh, and just for the record... that case... it fits the SusanoMonster perfectly (it has a "faceplate")

image.jpeg.50d13fdbd0d575e3dfac233975511b73.jpeg

It also fits the IDC50 to DB25 adapter, and even has room for the cable, as well as the power (which is already the right type since it's intended for a floppy drive).

image.jpeg.bc981a9a1527851e39d7f022e6059f75.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Ok, technically, that adapter is the wrong "gender" but... forgive me. :)

Lol.  I actually have two of these, one of each gender.  The female is plugged into the MIO and the male is mounted to the rear of the Supra enclosure.  Pretty nice little setup...if I can get it to work. 😃

Yeah... actually when I first started with the Adventurer's Guild BBS I had a setup with an SH204... I was using the original HD till it died, but yeah, it was pretty cool.  I hope you can get it working with one of the drive emulators.

37 minutes ago, Tillek said:

to keep it "looking" period specific, maybe the Tattler Solutions Wifi Modem

I have an SX212.  I think I'll get the Tattler and try to mount it in that shell.  Otherwise, a Hayes-alike that runs at 300 baud and requires AT commands to function falls comfortably within my self-imposed design constraints for the configuration.

1 minute ago, pixelmischief said:

I have an SX212.  I think I'll get the Tattler and try to mount it in that shell.  Otherwise, a Hayes-alike that runs at 300 baud and requires AT commands to function falls comfortably within my self-imposed design constraints for the configuration.

Not sure if it will fit since that is designed to fit in a Hayes 1200/2400, but... hey, if it works!

The Sportster variant should be out soon (I actually met the guy at VCFMW and he thanked me for displaying the Hayes version and told me the Sportster version would be out "soon") and that might be easier to find a shell for since the price on the 1200/2400 Hayes seems to have gone through the roof.  But if you don't care about the "case" the WiModem232/Pro really is a great choice, and it's small... but not perfect if you want something to "look" period specific.

That said though, it might be a better option to stick in side an SX212 case since it does have LED's (like the Tattler) and those LED's are available through pads on the board as well, so you could hook them up... it'd be a hack job, but it would work.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

[T]he WiModem232/Pro really is a great choice, and...it might be a better option to stick in side an SX212 case since it does have LED's (like the Tattler) and those LED's are available through pads on the board as well[.]

This is the right move.  I can pop the shell on the WiModem and mount the whole thing right onto the db25 port cutout already on the SX212 case.  With solder points on the board I can use to route the lights, I can probably get something that is almost indistinguishable from the original equipment.  Nice.

Yeah.... I know the "older version" that just had one LED (and the OLED display) was something InverseATASCII had been working on (as an RVERTER board for the 1030 modem that it could plug into) but for the SX212, since it already has a DB25 port, that would be cool.

Might do that myself as well, but... hey, projects are piling up so gotta find the time. :)

I'll let you pave the way and be first on that one!

The benefit, Jim Drew's firmware is second to none and his support is amazing (even for us Atari guys, considering he's a "Commie").  Met him at VCFMW in 2023... amazing guy.

Edited by Tillek

3 minutes ago, Tillek said:

even for us Atari guys, considering he's a "Commie"

I ain't mad at them over there.  That C64 is a mother-freaking beast!  But my heart is, and will always be, with the Atari.  I ain't gonna lie, though.  When I found out it was Atari 8-Bitters who built the Amiga, I jumped off the ST ship and onto the Amiga ship right away.  Just to the left of the Atari setup in the picture is a maxxed-out Amiga 1200 setup.  It wipes the floor with the Atari 16/32 platform, including the Falcon.  Hell, it wipes the floor with ALL of its contemporaries.

2 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

I ain't mad at them over there.  That C64 is a mother-freaking beast!  But my heart is, and will always be, with the Atari.  I ain't gonna lie, though.  When I found out it was Atari 8-Bitters who built the Amiga, I jumped off the ST ship and onto the Amiga ship right away.  Just to the left of the Atari setup in the picture is a maxxed-out Amiga 1200 setup.  It wipes the floor with the Atari 16/32 platform, including the Falcon.  Hell, it wipes the floor with ALL of its contemporaries.

You're dead to me.

Nah, I'm just kidding.

Finally got a 128 myself (brought it to VCFMW hoping to show it as a good "slave" to call Atari BBS's, but alas)... and I'm looking to get my own Amiga 1200 setup someday too.

Edited by Tillek
No, not a 128d, just a 128.. the D is a "Someday" dream.