IGNORED

Is Solaris (by far) the best 2600 game of the Atari Corp. era (1984-92)???

BIGHMW

I myself have it on ROM but have never played it before but from seeing gameplay of her on YouTube as well as action shots in an attempt to play her myself (I DO need a user manual to find out how to play her so I can start right away), she looks like not just the best of that era but one of the G.O.A.T.s too.

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error
  • Haha 1

Unlike with asking a similar question about bears, there is no one definitive answer as "best" has many meanings.  I will say that when I first got into the retro Atari scene a couple years ago that Solaris was absolutely the most visually impressive game IMO that I saw that was officially released and I was previously not aware of it.   I didn't know that the OG hardware (whether enhanced in cart or not) was capable of that level of graphics back in the 80s though some of the more recent homebrew titles have definitely taken that title from it in the years since.   I haven't actually played it though so can't comment on the gameplay and sound.   Also, bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

• Haha 1

Personally, I’ve never really liked Solaris, let alone thought of it as the best. It’s too complex for a 2600 game. For me some of the best 2600 games were Pitfall II, HERO, Montezuma’s Revenge, Tutankham, Jungle Hunt, Pole Position, Ms. Pac-Man, Subterranea, Cosmic Arc, River Raid, Sea Quest and Tapper.

• Like 1

It is my favorite 2600 single player game. I spent more time on this game than any other on my Atari. It probably is the longest quest with the most varied style of action on the system. This is my type of game, Star Master and Phaser Patrol on the 2600, and Star Raiders 1 and 2 on the 800 absorbed so much of my time. I wish they still made space adventure titles like this. The new space sims are mission based or trading upgrade sims. These games are something you can only really experience on Atari hardware.

On 10/8/2024 at 7:59 PM, WIZZARD77 said:

It is my favorite 2600 single player game. I spent more time on this game than any other on my Atari. It probably is the longest quest with the most varied style of action on the system. This is my type of game, Star Master and Phaser Patrol on the 2600, and Star Raiders 1 and 2 on the 800 absorbed so much of my time. I wish they still made space adventure titles like this. The new space sims are mission based or trading upgrade sims. These games are something you can only really experience on Atari hardware.

Try WarpSpeed for the Genesis or Super Nintendo!

Warpspeed Genesis.jpg

Warpspeed SNES 1.jpg

Warpspeed SNES 2.jpg

Personally I would say Solaris is arguably the best game for the 2600 that Atari released but then Jnr Pacman is up there too.  Saying this, it is not the best game ever made for the 2600 for each manufacturer had their own greatest title in their back catalogue and everyone will have their own argument for the best game ever released

On 10/7/2024 at 2:43 PM, Supergun said:

Personally, I’ve never really liked Solaris, let alone thought of it as the best. It’s too complex for a 2600 game. For me some of the best 2600 games were Pitfall II, HERO, Montezuma’s Revenge, Tutankham, Jungle Hunt, Pole Position, Ms. Pac-Man, Subterranea, Cosmic Arc, River Raid, Sea Quest and Tapper.

Agreed. Graphically, the game is magnificent, no doubt about it. But from a gameplay standpoint, I don't know, I guess it's just not the kind of thing I head to the 2600 for.

Of course, it's all subjective, but personally, I'd say Pitfall II is a far, FAR better game (and no slouch graphically, either.)

I don't necessarily disagree with arguments for Solaris being the best Atari Corp. title, but I gravitate more toward things like Gravitar or Defender II (yes, reprints of Atari Inc. games), Dark Chambers, Secret Quest, Ikari Warriors, Xenophobe, or Radar Lock, which runs the same kernel as Solaris--or at least shares some code--but is more arcadey. 

If it doesn't have to be an Atari title, I find California Games and BMX Airmaster particularly impressive. I actually really like Rampage, too (the in-game graphics look a bit 1980, but it's impressive how much was fit into this one).

Solaris does look and play great, but I like Radar Lock more myself because I tend to prefer more simple games. BMX Airmaster, Secret Quest, and Dark Chambers are probably my favorites from that era. I like the more claustrophobic, zoomed in gameplay of 2600 Dark Chambers a ton as a contrast with the 7800 game. Gives the game a much different feel.

Solaris is one of those games I laid in wait for as a collector in my collecting days for a very long time.  Honestly, it's one of my personal favorites for the 2600 - I just can't decide if I like that or Starmaster better since I'm decent at both of them and can sit and play both for quite awhile.  One of the longer campaign games of the VCS/2600 that much is for sure.  This is a short round for me, lol -

I was just playing this earlier tonight and I always seem to wind up getting boxed in in one quadrant or another. I wind up in a situation where it won't let me jump past a planet, and all I can do is keep descending down to it over and over again until I eventually just turn the game off. Is there a trick to it?