IGNORED

Atarimax vs backbit for 5200?

genfuyung

There are a few games that take advantage of the AtariMax cart's ability to provide extra RAM I believe and there are some demos and I believe Atari 5200 Blast! that are able to stream data from the SDcard as additional storage. I'm sure there are some homebrews or 8-bit conversions that might not work on the BBPro but pretty much everything I've got with the exception for like 3 or 4 roms works on my BBPro. I really don't even use my AtariMax SD as much because the BBPro is always nearby being I use it with quite a few different systems.

• Thanks 1

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

There are a few games that take advantage of the AtariMax cart's ability to provide extra RAM I believe and there are some demos and I believe Atari 5200 Blast! that are able to stream data from the SDcard as additional storage. I'm sure there are some homebrews or 8-bit conversions that might not work on the BBPro but pretty much everything I've got with the exception for like 3 or 4 roms works on my BBPro. I really don't even use my AtariMax SD as much because the BBPro is always nearby being I use it with quite a few different systems.

Thanks. I'll save the money then.

On 10/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, genfuyung said:

Thanks. I'll save the money then.

There is one thing to be aware of with the BBPro and the 5200 adapter. Which model 5200 will you be using it with?

7 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

2 port

Okay, I believe she has already corrected for this. But earlier versions of the adapter could burn out and damage the BBPro if you plugged in the BBPro cartridge backwards with the power plugged into the 5200 already. This is because the 5200 2 port units and any 4 ports with the VCS modification in place, have constant input voltage from the DC jack active on the cartridge port even when powered off.

So just something to be aware of. Again, I believe she has additional protection build into the adapter now to help prevent this, but I'm pretty sure she still advises to unplug the power from the console when inserting the BBPro to be sure. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay, I believe she has already corrected for this. But earlier versions of the adapter could burn out and damage the BBPro if you plugged in the BBPro cartridge backwards with the power plugged into the 5200 already. This is because the 5200 2 port units and any 4 ports with the VCS modification in place, have constant input voltage from the DC jack active on the cartridge port even when powered off.

So just something to be aware of. Again, I believe she has additional protection build into the adapter now to help prevent this, but I'm pretty sure she still advises to unplug the power from the console when inserting the BBPro to be sure. 

oh wow. Very good to know, thanks. 

9 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

oh wow. Very good to know, thanks. 

I only thought about it because someone recently on FB mentioned that they had burned out their BBPro on their 5200 2 port by plugging it in backwards. I asked them to reach out to Evie about it, but they stated they purchased the BBPro setup second hand. But I still encouraged them to reach out to her to see what could be offered.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I only thought about it because someone recently on FB mentioned that they had burned out their BBPro on their 5200 2 port by plugging it in backwards. I asked them to reach out to Evie about it, but they stated they purchased the BBPro setup second hand. But I still encouraged them to reach out to her to see what could be offered.

I think all the adapters I currently have show text on the PCB saying something like THIS SIDE FORWARD. I guess it could be overlooked.

14 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

I think all the adapters I currently have show text on the PCB saying something like THIS SIDE FORWARD. I guess it could be overlooked.

Well yes, and in the case of this person, they knew that but weren't paying attention and since it is easy to plug them in backwards... well you get the idea.