IGNORED

Anyone willing to loan my their 2600+ to get a free Atari 2600 MCP (Mega Console Protector)?

8bitwidgets.com

Hi everyone, so some of you might know me for my various other products, but the one I'm working on nailing is a version of the 2600 MCP that works with the 2600+

This is what it is.  effectively a socket protecting pass-through to mitigate wear and tear on aging systems.  However, some customers have expressed interest in one of these for their 2600+ so I'm obliged to find a solution.  

image.thumb.png.b278f27957460459d23a9752dd39d2d8.png

I simply need one I can borrow to test against it to insure it's a snug fit (doesn't come out with the cartridge, or require excessive force to stay in).  I probably am 90% there as I already have two flavors that address the unique variations enclosure designs.  

I would ask you ship me your 2600+ only at my expense.  I think it uses USB C so I have power / cables for that and cx40 joysticks.  

The alternative for me is to buy one on amazon then return it..   $130 is a lot of money for something i do not need and frankly I don't like the idea of creating a return product that would be deemed defective and maybe not even make it's way to another home...  I own a light sixer modded by Ivory Tower Collections, so I'd much rather borrow one and ship it back with the MCP for the owner.  Or if the 2600 MCP isn't your cup of tea, I make a line of controller couplers and other non-game stuff you could check out on my etsy store.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/8BitWidgets or if a $20 will grease your palm.. that's fine too.  

I'll be needed the same thing for the 7800+ when it comes out.  I tried asking around the local area retro folks I know, but none of them own it either.  They have loaned me other things like NUC CV+ and CV Phoenix, but struck out with the 2600+ 

Thanks,
Caleb

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

Hi everyone, so some of you might know me for my various other products, but the one I'm working on nailing is a version of the 2600 MCP that works with the 2600+

This is what it is.  effectively a socket protecting pass-through to mitigate wear and tear on aging systems.  However, some customers have expressed interest in one of these for their 2600+ so I'm obliged to find a solution.  

image.thumb.png.b278f27957460459d23a9752dd39d2d8.png

I simply need one I can borrow to test against it to insure it's a snug fit (doesn't come out with the cartridge, or require excessive force to stay in).  I probably am 90% there as I already have two flavors that address the unique variations enclosure designs.  

I would ask you ship me your 2600+ only at my expense.  I think it uses USB C so I have power / cables for that and cx40 joysticks.  

The alternative for me is to buy one on amazon then return it..   $130 is a lot of money for something i do not need and frankly I don't like the idea of creating a return product that would be deemed defective and maybe not even make it's way to another home...  I own a light sixer modded by Ivory Tower Collections, so I'd much rather borrow one and ship it back with the MCP for the owner.  Or if the 2600 MCP isn't your cup of tea, I make a line of controller couplers and other non-game stuff you could check out on my etsy store.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/8BitWidgets or if a $20 will grease your palm.. that's fine too.  

I'll be needed the same thing for the 7800+ when it comes out.  I tried asking around the local area retro folks I know, but none of them own it either.  They have loaned me other things like NUC CV+ and CV Phoenix, but struck out with the 2600+ 

Thanks,
Caleb

You got it. I'll pm you

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I hope you are aware there are two socket designs for the twenty six hundred plus.

I was not.  Is the improved one to better work with 7800 cartridges?  just from that thread it looks kinda like a 7800 port.  Then again maybe the original looks like that too? 

Is there some kind of recall going on?  Or are people just out of luck if they bought the first batch of systems?  What was the problem with the original port?  

59 minutes ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

I was not.  Is the improved one to better work with 7800 cartridges?  just from that thread it looks kinda like a 7800 port.  Then again maybe the original looks like that too? 

Is there some kind of recall going on?  Or are people just out of luck if they bought the first batch of systems?  What was the problem with the original port?  

The pine on the original port can become bent and there are some thickness issues. Plaion has given away quite a few and they are giving away another batch, then putting replacements up for sale on AA. It's not that the first ones fail, but that they can fail in some cases. I can send both so you can test the fitment, but I'd prefer that you not open the unit. 

Plaion is shipping new units with the newer slot. Amazon already has them in stock too.

39 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

I can send both so you can test the fitment, but I'd prefer that you not open the unit. 

I wouldn't need to open them.  this is purely external testing.  the key is the thickness of the enclosure has to hug a given socket well enough to stay in when you pull out the cartridge so it doesn't come with it..  on the other hand of course not to make it so hard to insert it's stressing on the case.. it's very possible that if the cases are in fact not different.. and that the sockets have the same relative depth (can anyone attest to if the carts socket deeper or more shallow on one vs. the other?) so yes of course I'd want to verify both work, but i'm betting if those two variables can be confirmed to not be different, i bet one will work well with both.