IGNORED

How does the CX85 Standalone numeric keyboard work?

Rob Mitchell

I remember looking at this device years ago. Basically it plugs into the Joytick port and each key is crosslinks to one of the 4 digital inputs for a joystick. This is connected directly to the PIA of the Atari and with 4 digital inputs you can have a total of 16 combinations (with binary 1111 no key pressed). With the CX85 keypad though I believe that some of the keys were connect to the POT lines into Pokey. Once pressed a resistor dragged the line down to some level and the key was determined to be pressed.

I made a similar interface to sometime ago and use some VBlank code (probably the same as the CX85 Key pad) to read the key press and output the programmed key to the standard output. This was *really* handy for typing in those DATA lines in basic programs.

I hope this helps!

JayoK

---------------

Am supposed to say something funny/clever/interesting here?

Your welcome, as for my timing I was just lucky.

Problem is now you got me thinking about my VBlank code... arraggh... how'd I do that again!  :D  

JayoK

Welcome!

If you want to get back into 8-bit programming or just jog a few memories head over to www.atariarchives.org and www.atarimagazines.com for all the Atari 8-bit tech notes you'll ever need.

Allan

Welcome!

If you want to get back into 8-bit programming or just jog a few memories head over to www.atariarchives.org and www.atarimagazines.com for all the Atari 8-bit tech notes you'll ever need.

Allan

Ah, excellent sites.

I think I might dig out some stuff. It was incredible some of the stuff that I done with the 800XL! I developed a complete 6809 based system from the Atari. I wrote a 6809 cross compiler, built and EPROM burner and logical analyser to boot! How much would that cost now?

I did begin work on a A8 clone of Street Fighter 2 (basically I dumped the graphics off an ST) and had the basic sprites animated. But alas time was against me and I never got to finish. I just might dig that out again and post the demo to see what you folks think.

Arraggh... I'm off to search for some code again

JayoK