IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. "freeze"

Room 34

I'm sure everyone who's played SMB to death has had this happen before, but it was new to me.

I was on world 5-1, and I was small Mario. I went into the coin warp area that you get to if you go down the pipe that's floating in midair above a Bullet Bill. I jumped up on the blocks on the right to get to the top (up by the score), and then I was going to jump over to the top left ledge so I could get down into the area where all of the coins are. (I took a picture of the screen but my digital camera got screwed up so I lost it.)

Anyway... I was at the top, and I jumped off-screen and the game just froze. Is this a common occurrence? Does it happen more often on this particular screen or can it potentially happen anywhere if you're running along the top blocks by the score display?

Never had it happen. Can't seem to recreate it. It works for me.

Tell us more.

Were you small, super or firey? (Regular, Extra Crispy or Spicy) What was your score? What was the time? How many coins did you have?

Tell me more, KemoSabe.

As I mentioned, I was small. As for the rest, I don't recall. (Not trying to be a poet... :ponder: )

I am pissed because I took a picture of the screen, but my digital camera got screwed up when I was importing the picture and I lost it (as well as about 18 pictures I took of my kid! :mad: )... anyway, let's see.

I had warped to world 5-1 from 1-2 using the -1 world trick and going down the 2nd pipe. Then my game ended in world 5-2 and I started over in 5-1 by using the A-button + Start trick.

I was on my second life, I believe... my score was fairly low... I probably had about 10-15 coins... the time was at about 150. That's all I can remember. I was trying to do this because in the previous game I had done it successfully... I was down there, trying to figure out how to get at those coins, and I walked across the top, jumped over to the upper left corner, and then jumped down into the space where the coins were. This time around though, when I was trying to jump to the upper left corner, when I went off-screen the game just froze!

:?

I had warped to world 5-1 from 1-2 using the -1 world trick and going down the 2nd pipe. Then my game ended in world 5-2 and I started over in 5-1 by using the A-button + Start trick.
WAIT WAIT WAIT..

You used the Minus World trick to go down the SECOND pipe?

There's your answer.

You never hear about people using the second pipe when doing that trick because they wanna see the water world in the first. This I believe is the first mention of what is down the second one. When you were on 1-2, you're saying you did the whole "Hit the back of your head on the bricks and get sucked in" trick? Right? And when you did that, it took you to world 5-1? Right?

If this is what you're saying, you may have just discovered another bug in the game.

Nest time don't use the Minus world trick. Use the lifts, warp to 4-1 and then find the world 5 pipe at the end of 4-2.

Tell me more! This is intriguing.

Sometimes,also,something called "dust" can land on the "connectors" of a "cartridge".Compressed air is good to "clean" the "dust" off.Wish I was doing the "quotation fingers in the air "motion right now.....
I still doubt it was dust. After what he described. Using the Minus world trick to get to world 5 is most likely the cause for the delayed freeze.

Sometimes,also,something called "dust" can land on the "connectors" of a "cartridge".Compressed air is good to "clean" the "dust" off.Wish I was doing the "quotation fingers in the air "motion right now.....
I still doubt it was dust. After what he described. Using the Minus world trick to get to world 5 is most likely the cause for the delayed freeze.

I wish half of that reply was in quotations.....

I wish half of that reply was in quotations.....

"LOL!!"

That was "funny".

You never hear about people using the second pipe when doing that trick because they wanna see the water world in the first. This I believe is the first mention of what is down the second one. When you were on 1-2, you're saying you did the whole "Hit the back of your head on the bricks and get sucked in" trick? Right? And when you did that, it took you to world 5-1? Right?

That's what I did. It's well-documented that when you do this, if you take the left or right pipe, you go to the -1 world, but if you take the middle pipe, you go to 5-1. I did it deliberately, just for a change of pace.

I'd just like to point out again at this point that the freeze happened in my NEXT game, which I started at 5-1 using the A button when hitting Start. The game did NOT freeze when I used the 1-2 warp to 5-1, even though I did the exact thing in that game (which worked) that caused the system to freeze in the new game.

I'd just like to point out again at this point that the freeze happened in my NEXT game, which I started at 5-1 using the A button when hitting Start. The game did NOT freeze when I used the 1-2 warp to 5-1, even though I did the exact thing in that game (which worked) that caused the system to freeze in the new game.

That's why I said it was DELAYED.

There are many MANY variables in the game that could cause the game to freeze if not at the correct value when you get to certain points.

If you play the game normally, you find no problems. The programmers didn't test the game much beyond normal play. They never thought about being able to get sucked into the wall. It would never cross their mind. When it happens, stuff doesn't get activated. Which in turn causes stuff to go wrong. One of them being an eventual freeze up. In your case, it waited until you continued.

Not being a SMB programmer, I can't know exactly how it happenms, but having a good head for knowing how programs work, I am able to figure this stuff out.

You say it was well documented. Well, this is the first time I heard about anyone going down the second pipe. Let alone the third. But it is interesting.

That's why I said it was DELAYED.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I probably had some rogue bit of code running around inside the NES's little brain trying to figure out where it could wreak havoc, and it wasn't until then that it found its target. :D

You say it was well documented. Well, this is the first time I heard about anyone going down the second pipe. Let alone the third. But it is interesting.

I've found it on 2 or 3 sites that have walk-throughs of the game.

Here's one:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/su...ario_bros_h.txt

World 1-2 to 5-1

----------------------

Most people don't know about this one. This warp is very similar to the

minus world warp listed above. To do this warp, go to world 1-2. Just

after the elevators, there is a horizontal warp pipe that leads outside.

Do not go in this pipe. Instead, jump on top of the pipe and break the

two rightmost bricks, but not the one touching the pipe. If you break

the brick touching the pipe, then you can't do the warp. Now stand as

far to the left that you can stand on the horizontal pipe. Also, make

sure you are facing left. Now duck and jump up. While you are in the

air, hold right as hard as you can, but make sure you stay in the

ducking position. You should hit the wall. With much luck, Mario will

be sucked into the wall, and he will start "moonwalking" through it. You

will come to the other side. On the other side, there will be three warp

pipes. If you enter the middle pipe before the screen scrolls all the

way to the right, you will be warped to 5-1.

OK, so maybe it's not WELL documented... but I find it strange (maybe... then again maybe not) that everyone who's played SMB seems to know about the -1 world trick but so few of them have ever bothered to go down any pipe besides the first one!

I had been thinking last week about the -1 world trick, and wondering how it was discovered. But then it occurred to me, it's fairly obvious that someone might stumble upon it. They wanted to get to the warp zone, and went too far, then tried to smash through the top bricks to get up there, and failing that, fell upon the -1 world trick.

Makes me wonder how many OTHER things like this are buried in the game but no one has found them because they're not in places where people are likely to mess around in this way.

Do you know about the trick in 4-2 vine warp?Its similar to the 1-2 trick,but you can repeat it :D
How do you perform this one? Is it while underground or when on the Mushroom platforms above?

OK here goes this'll be kinda long,but I'll include pics/might take me couple posts.Make sure your big Mario. ( I dont know what order the pics will wind up posting in ,but I numbered the steps :) )......

1.At the top of the vine,run to the right holding down B

2.Duck under the small mushroom platform(get deep in it)

3.This is kinda tricky...lift up while under the first mushroom platform,running towards the second one (holding B)and duck under the second one before you run into the side of it.Get kinda deep into it as well.

4.If you are under it far enough,lift up and let yourself be "dragged"to the right (the screen won't scroll with you).

5.You should be far enough over to the right side of the screen to move ahead (you'll be off center :) )

post-4102-1068662781_thumb.png

post-4102-1068662782_thumb.png

post-4102-1068662783_thumb.png

post-4102-1068662784_thumb.png

post-4102-1068662785_thumb.png

6.Move to the right side towards the pipes

7.Be careful jumping up the stairs,try not to rub against them,as you'll move a bit closer to the center of the screen.

8 & 9.If you did this correctly,you can reach the pipes before it says "Welcome to Warp Zone"

10.Now go down the pipes! The center one will lead to world 5-1........

post-4102-1068663059_thumb.png

post-4102-1068663060_thumb.png

post-4102-1068663061_thumb.png

post-4102-1068663062_thumb.png

post-4102-1068663063_thumb.png