IGNORED

How many of you actively collect Homebrew and Hack carts?

Adrian M

I am so there . . . I'd buy that one even if it were SECAM and therefore unplayable by Yanks and cost $200 . . .

As for the rest, I doubt I'll ever buy them in Cart form, since the Activision collection has a lot of them (and how much did the creators of those games get paid on that deal, BTW?)

Only homebrew accessories I really want are the Cuttle Cart and the S-Video card (my little box from 1982 is pretty battered)

I concentrate more on the quality and playability of a game before I buy it. The only game I paid a lot for that I really don't play is Waterworld, but I would rather collect games that I enjoy playing.  

Maybe I am wierd :P

Yes, you are weird so send me your Waterworld for a discount price since the game itself sucks! 8)

J/K!

I actually printed out the solution and I plan on trying to beat the game at one point in time. I don't care how much it sucks, I beat raiders of the lost ark, so I think I can beat this one. I plan on starting a thread to brag about it once I beat it.

Hi there!

I don't actively collect them, but I own a few homebrews, half of them were gifts from other friendly programmers, half of them were spending Gunfight / Star Fire royalties.

I have Qb, Jammed, Warring Worms, Marble Craze, Gunfight, Synthcart, Oystron & a Cuttle Cart. (Yes, I don't even have Star Fire myself yet ;) )

Time for the next order I assume. :D

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I don't actively collect them, but I own a few homebrews, half of them were gifts from other friendly programmers, half of them were spending Gunfight / Star Fire royalties.

I have Qb, Jammed, Warring Worms, Marble Craze, Gunfight, Synthcart, Oystron & a Cuttle Cart. (Yes, I don't even have Star Fire myself yet ;) )

Time for the next order I assume. :D

Greetings,

Manuel

Well I envy any of the 204 people that own a cuttle cart. That is one thing on my big wish list. I have it as a saved search on ebay with email notification for a year. And I have only got one email from that one :roll: Seems nobody wants to get rid of them, with good reason.

Hi there!

I missed any of the original runs for the CC, but I took the chance when someone offered his on [stella]. The seller wanted to support hombrew developments, so he gave it to me at cost. And I must say it was a great tool to help the Star Fire development.

(That was a unique event, I guess just subscribing [stella] to get a CC won't help anyone... ;) )

Greetings,

Manuel

Actively? Oh hell yes:

[Homebrew]

* 3D Rubik's Cube (+ box, inst)

* Adventure+

* Alligator People (+ inst)

* Aquaventure (Atari proto)

* Backfire (+ inst)

* Berzerk Voice Enhanced (+ inst)

* Bowl-O-Rama (Atari "Bowling")

* Bugs Bunny (+ box, inst)

* Cat Trax (+ box, inst)

* Combat Rock

* Dukes of Hazzard (Atari proto)

* Euchre (+ inst)

* Fatal Run (CIB not sealed - a PAL conversion)

* Funky Fish (+ box, inst)

* Holey Moley (+ box, inst)

* Magicard/Video Life (dip switch)

* Marble Craze (+ tin, inst)

* Mega Man Fan (Activision "Megamania")

* Mega Man Fan - Hangman hack

* Mental Kombat (+ inst)

* Miniature Golf+

* Mission 3000 A.D.

* Okie Dokie (+ inst)

* Oystron (+ inst)

* Pac-Man Arcade

* Pleaides (+ box, inst)

* Polo (+ box, inst)

* Return of Mario Bros.

* Revenge of the Apes (+ box, inst)

* Qb (+ inst)

* SCSIcide (+ inst)

* Sea Battle (+ inst)

* Secret Agent (DataAge proto)

* Sinistar (Atari proto)

* Space Instigators (+ box, inst)

* Space Invaders Arcade

* Space Treat Deluxe (+ inst)

* Skeleton (+ inst)

* Starfire (+inst)

* Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Ewok Adventure

* Swordfight (+ inst)

* Synthcart (+ inst)

* This Planet Sucks (+ inst)

* Thrust+ DC (+ box, inst)

* Thrust+ Platinum Edition (+ box, inst)

* Vault Assault (+ inst)

* Venture II (+ inst)

* Video Life/Magicard (dip switch)

* Warring Worms (+ inst)

Me? I collect anything. :)

Homebrews/Hacks so far:

Okie Dokie, Gunfight, Starfire, Skeleton, SCSIcide, Dark Mage, Backfire, Marble Craze, Wombat (what IS this? Combat with a different label?), Mr. Roboto (signed by Paul Slocum), Inv, THX-1138.

Might have missed one or two out there, not sure. Currently bidding on Borg Wars and Combat Rock - no bidding against me please! Ta!

I like "collecting" and buying just about any of the new, original releases. I like to buy the Homebrews whenever possible. I probably will never be able to program a game for the 2600 myself so buying the homebrews is my way of thanking the programmers for there hard work and letting them know it's appreciated by the Atari (classig gaming) community. Besides that, most of the homebrews are just great games.

I have (so far) Backfire, Crazy Valet (Philly Classic), Euchre, Gunfight, Jammed, Marble Craze, Okie Dokie, Oystron, Qb (philly Classic), SCSIcide, Skeleton, Space Instigators, Space Treat, Star fire, TPS, Thrust, Vault Assault.

I also have the INTV homebrew 4-tris (Philly classic edition #1 woo-hoo).

I have several hacks as well including a few games I hacked myself and had Hozer make me copies of and one of the Hozer carts that displays a text message (of your choice) scrolling across the screen.

I have the 3 UA titles from the AA store, Pac-Man Arcade, Sea Battle and sword fight and a Hozer Thrifting Sim (Venture hack).

While I know these are not rare collectables in the sense that a Tooth protector is I still consider these games, The home brew games especially, one of the main highlights of my Atari (and INTV) collection.

To the best of my knowledge, here is the list of homebrews and hacks that I own. The name in parenthesis is who I obtained the cart from. I didn't include titles that were written year s ago and reissued privately such as Polo and The Alligator People.

Alfred Challenge (Ebivision)

Alla Quest (Ebivision)

Backfire (Atari Age)

Crazy Valet (Brian Prescott)

Crazy Valet – Philly Classic (Brian Prescott)

Crazy Valet – CGE (Brian Prescott)

Edtris 2600 (Hozer)

Euchre Special Edition (Atari Age)

Gunfight (Atari Age)

INV (Atari Age)

Jammed (Hozer)

Marble Craze (Paul Slocum)

Mental Kombat (Simon Quernhorst)

Merlin’s Walls (Ebivision)

Okey Dokey (Bob Colbert)

Oystron (Hozer)

Pesco (Ebivision)

Power Off (Hozer)

Pressure Gauge (Hozer)

Q.B. (Andrew Davie)

SCSIcide (Joe Grand)

Skeleton (Atari Age)

SoundX (Hozer)

Space Treat (Atari Age)

Starfire (Atari Age)

Synthcart (Atari Age)

This Planet Sucks (Hozer)

Thrust (Hozer)

Thrust + (Jah Fish)

Vault Assault (Brian Prescott)

Vault Assault Tournament Edition (Brian Prescott)

Venture II (Hack - Tim Snider)

Video Simon (Hozer)

Video Time Machine (Hozer)

Warring Worms (Baroque Gaming)

X3VoluX (Hack - Lee Kreuger)

Good choice IMO. Skeleton+ would have rocked our worlds had it been released in the 80's - a FPP shooter!!! Crank up the sound and blast dem bags o' bones!

brrrt. brrrrrrt. BRRRRRT. GOT YOU! ;)

Speaking of the homebrew question, I pick them up when I can. I wouldn't mind owning almost all of them someday, but I only own 4 2600 homebrews now: Skeleton+, Space Treat Deluxe, SCSIcide, and Qb. All are great and all are infinitely replayable, far more than many original 2600 games.

I think all the 2600 homebrews from here on out ought to be 8K and up. More ROM means more stuff to see/hear/do and allows the programmer to pretty up their hard-earned kernels and routines.

Wow, so you are missing only a very few.

And not included on that list is three prototype reproductions I just picked up - Aquaventure, Dukes of Hazzard, and Sinistar. :D I'm dying to pick up a copy of Climber 5 when it's ready, and will probably order any other homebrews I don't have in the AA store at the same time. Oh yes, I'm very much looking forward to Kablam-O! finally being released too.

I wouldn't say I collect them as much as I enjoy playing them.  

Pretty much what I was trying to say! ( :P to rolenta!)

I have never bought or considered buying a homebrew game.

Also, I never intend on buying one.

You don't know what you're missing!

Actively?  Oh hell yes:

[Homebrew]

{lists 49 games}

Aaargh! Bested again! ;)

I'm dying to pick up a copy of Climber 5 when it's ready

Well, you should have said something before! :roll:

Well, if anyone cares, I just bought my first Atari 2600 homebrew.   :)  

I chose SKELETON+ as the first addition to my homebrew collection.  

And with any luck you'll receive it on Saturday so you can enjoy it this weekend! :)

..Al

Yay! I may be away this weekend, but at any rate, I should be enjoying my new game on Monday night at the latest! :D

How many of you actively collect these special games?  Are they merely additions to your 2600 collection?  Do you buy the ones you think you'll like?  Or do you buy them all in order to support the amateur development scene?

I buy pretty much all homebrews, many/most repros (well, those that aren't available in another form, so typically only repros from prototypes, not from rares), and some hacks. I definitely have the idea of supporting the scene in mind, but when there are too many to afford, then I will probably start buying based on quality.

I have the following homebrews either in my possession, or coming my way in the very near future:

Colecovision:

Space invaders Collection

Atari 2600:

Asteroids DC+

Marble Craze

Miniature Golf +

Pac-Man Arcade

Space Treat Deluxe

Thrust +

Atari 5200:

Castle Blast

Combat II Advanced

Haunted House 3-D

Klax

Koffi: Yellow Kopter

Vectrex:

Protector/YASI

I also have many repros of prototypes that I haven't included on that list.

I'm looking forward to getting Bounce!, Kablamo!, Climber 5, Kickman, and Tree Hugger for the 2600.

I'll continue to buy all homebrews that come out for the 5200.

I don't actually collect homebrews for the 2600. I only go for homebrew games I really enjoy playing for this system.

I do collect homebrews for the 5200. The completist in me wants my 5200 collection to remain complete. :D

I collect Hacks or Homebrews. They rock!! Unfortunately, I'm don't have the skills of the Great Homebrewers here (wish I had more time). I am about to get a good pay raise so I have my eye on Jammed, Skeleton+, & miniature golf+. That's just to name a few. I won't mention every hack that I own but I love adventure+ crazy climber (Hozer). That's my lowly two cents.

Cheers

:|