IGNORED

atari 80 classic games in 1

Shannon

We need a Flicker-Fixer (tm-Amiga). Anyone make an emulator that eliminates sprite flicker?

The whole point of this collection is to emulate the game just as it existed on the original machine...if they removed the flicker, it wouldn't be an accurate emulator then would it?

I kinda have an issue with the emulation as far as the flicker goes. Not because it flickers, but because it doesn't seem to even try to lock the flicker to screen refresh so you see tearing effects really badly on games like Asteroids. And there are no advanced DirectX settings to control this sort of thing.

They also didn't add scanline emulation into the 2600 part of the emulation. DE were the first to do this with the emulation of the raster games on Atari Arcade Hits 1 and I was assuming they'd do the same on the 2600 stuff, at least when using the 640x400 mode.

I also haven't figured out how to get to the high scores for the arcade emus and there appears to be no high score save for the 2600 emu, unlike Anthology.

I'd have to experiment with it a little but I think the xbox 2600 emulator by nport has some type of reduced flicker (or none). But I'm not sure. Certain games like haunted house and asteroids did not look right. Almost like they were flicker free.

I don't think it was intentional from the looks of it the guy is not real familar with the core machines, he just ports. For example his alternate sound engine in the atari 8-bit/5200 is off by a whole octave. Plus the difficulty switch settings are not remembered so you have to set them for each game when you start the game.

ok... I confirmed that the nport 2600 emu for xport does to some extent reduce flickering. For example with asteroids there is none. But in games like ms-pacman, jr. pacman the ghosts do flicker. So beats me. Maybe his framerate is off or something.

Finally got around to playing with the 80-in-1 pack. I really like it. Especially the extra features for the arcade games.

Some things I kinda wish were there but I know are not due to legal reasons. The excerpt from that book (phoenix?) mentions several milestones in Atari's history, but unfortunately some of them are not included on the compilation. Games such as space invaders, pac-man, and E.T. There may have been others. But it's nice to see what they do have there.

Of course the system 1/2 games are missed, but as we know the rights belong to midway, or is that williams. These things have passed hands so many times one tends to forget.

It was nice to have online manuals. Especially the handy game # and difficulty switch references. I was kinda hoping they'd have some of the 5200 renditions of some of the classic (sorta hinted at in some of the picture/documentation area). I've yet to see any compilation that goes that far. But I suppose it would be fairly useless since some of the great 5200/7800 stuff was arcade translations whom the rights belong to someone else.

Non-the-less a cool program. I really liked the attention to detail. Something that other compilations tend to forget about.

The excerpt from that book (phoenix?) mentions several milestones in Atari's history, but unfortunately some of them are not included on the compilation.  Games such as space invaders, pac-man, and E.T.  There may have been others.  But it's nice to see what they do have there.

And unfortunately, the history isn't up to date. The excerpt had been prepared for Atari Arcade Hits 2 which was released in 2000. A lot of things have happened to Atari since.

• 1 month later...

just wondering...

does this collection have the extra's that are included with the

Atari Anniversary Edition?(Video interviews with original game designers, images of noteworthy memorabilia, original press releases, and more)

thanks...

email me please.... zeptari1@aol.com

just wondering...

does this collection have the extra's that are included with the

Atari Anniversary Edition?(Video interviews with original game designers, images of noteworthy memorabilia, original press releases, and more)

thanks...

email me please.... zeptari1@aol.com

Yes.

The exact same excerpts that were there on Hasbro's Atari Arcade hits volume 1 disk, making this the THIRD TIME I've gotten an interview with Nolan Bushnell in front of a Pong machine.

Wait, I may be thinking about difrent extras. I'd have to look again.