IGNORED

Help another newbie hook up the 2600...please!

ilona

All of you veterans probably get tired of these "how do I hook up my 2600 to a new TV" questions, but here's another.

My situation: I bought a 2600 on eBay. It is going to be an Xmas gift for my live-in boyfriend, so I've been sneakily trying to hook it up and verify that it works when he's not around. I don't even know if the system is functional, but assuming it is-- I think I'm hooking it up wrong! I've tried hooking it up via a switchbox, and also with one of those RF-to-coax adapters. I've tried hooking it up via my VCR (which is where our bunny-ears antenna is hooked up-- we don't have cable), and I've tried using the adapter and plugging it into the "cable/antenna" coax input on back of my TV. I've tried channels 2, 3, and 4. Nothing- just a fuzzy white-noise screen.

I think what may be the problem is that my boyfriend's TV has channel 3 preset for the VCR. And I don't have the original remote control nor do I have the TV manual to go about changing this. Could that be it? Could it be that the TV only recognizes channel 3 when the VCRs (which have composite inputs) are running? Any other common reasons for a fuzzy screen? Any info would be appreciated!

Was the auction on ebay sold as-is or was it "tested"? (maybe a link for the auction)

But if you are just trying to test it, I woul hook it directly up to your vcr ant IN with the small RCA connector (not the switchbox) and put the tv on the station that you would watch a movie on and put the vcr on 2 or 3 and make sure your games contacts are clean (use either a q-tip and alcohol, or the eraser on the end of a pencil)

And note if the screen goes black, or if it flashes at all, or if there are colored lines all over it.

This can help determine what could be wrong with it.