IGNORED

newbie looking for help commanding my tank

bigbadrepublican

OK, first off, thanks for creating this site. I have been lurking for a bit and finally decided to ask my question. I have a couple machines; altered beast, a MS. pacman, tank commander, a shuffleboard, and a pinball machine.

My first resto will be the tank commander game. It is real rough, but my feeling is start with the basket case cause there is no way i can do any more dammage to it.

My first question is: does anyone know what this thing is worth if it were in working condition?

Second: how far gone is too far gone?

I have started looking over the old posts and am getting some great ideas on how to start. hopefully it will be in working order sooner than later.

thanks guys

BBR

Second: how far gone is too far gone?

What's wrong with it?

While I don't know Tank Commander offhand, if it isn't that sought-after of a game, I would say the following things would make me skip it for an easier target:

- Bad or broken monitor

- Fried boards (any)

- Cabinet with a lot of water damage

If it doesn't have any of the above problems, it is easily salvagable if you are willing to put in some work and will-power. I turned two of the worst looking Ms. Pac-Man games you have ever seen into two machines that look like new recently, and I was given one of them because the owner of them liked it so much!

Be warned that if you need parts, they will cost money. The only reason the monitor is above is because a new monitor will run you at least $200.00. Even a new joystick can be a lot, depending on what it is.

If you would like to PM me or email me at loosen@goatstore.com. I would love to help!

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.p...T&game_id=10026

That is the closest thing I have been able to find. Is the game a video or is it an electromechanical/non-video?

Caveat: sometimes you have to keep the end in mind when you start a project. If you plan on keeping it forever, it does not matter what you spend on it. However, if you know you will someday part with it, know your limits going in, and decide if you want to follow that path. I know people who spent tons of money on worthless games; not saying yours is....

LMK if I can help.

Cassidy

Thanks guys.

It has some major sentimental value, something I played as a kid. I will post pictures of it as soon as work and time permit. Honestly, money is not an option, that said, I don't want to be spending thousands on one of these things.

I haven't looked at the cabinet fully, but if i need to i will build a new one, its that important. My starting place will be taking an electronics class at the local college next semester. I figure thats as good a place as any to start.

As far as the history of the game. My uncle owned a bunch of these games when he was in his 20's. whats left are Ms pacman, the tank commander game, shuffleboard, and a very large air hockey table (5'x9').

The tank commander game was very expensive when he bought it back in the day of the dino (late 70's early 80's). He doesn't wan them any more so my winfall. I am hoping to get out there this weekend and take one of my prizes home, or atleast take some photos of questionable quality.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

BBR

If that Tank game is what i think (hope is a better word) it is, an Atari Tank 8 from about 1976, please contact the people working on Mame, as they are really looking for a boardset to dump to file (read all game roms etc) for emulation and preservation. In fact, you might even help yourself with it, for future repairs (it's because of Mame that i'm able to fix several of my games)

http://targets.mame.net/mostwanted.html

If fixing stuff is new to you, start with the basics. Begin with testing the whole game and then just ask what to do about certain symptoms.

Just a basic point: Most games need 5 Volts to operate. With some careful looking around on your board, you may find the test points (or if you have some knowledge of chip layout, you can pinpoint the legs for ground and 5V in). I have blown boards by trying to adjust the voltage regulator pot while the game board was connected. If you notice the voltage is too low, you should first turn the game off and disconnect the board before adjusting it. Turn the game on, without the board hooked in, and then adjust it with your voltmeter connected to the harness.

I know it sounds dumb, but those old pots can get corroded, and you may 'fry' the board if you try adjusting it while connected. If I use this method (board not connected) of course it will give you an off reading, so you can adjust the voltage up a bit, say 5.3 volts, and then connected, it shoul bring it back down.

For Ms. Pac, I would just clean connectors and change all the fuses in the bottom. Those are rock-solid games, that will do it 9 times out of 10.

Dying to know what the real name of that Tank game is. If its a Tank 8, I'll freak! Never seen one in the wild, only Videotopia.

Cassidy

I haven't looked at the cabinet fully, but if i need to i will build a new one, its that important.

Oh, I'm not saying toss it if the cabinet is screwed up. All I meant is that a game with serious cabinet damage (specifically water damage) is an absolute bear to try to fix, and if you are going for your first machine to fix up I would suggest starting with the game that works the best and working your way back.

Important safety tip: If you're dabbling in a machine, never ever touch the suction-cup looking thing on the screen.

It is tank by atari.  It says nothing about being tank 8 but I will post some pics tomorrow and you can tell me.  thanks guys.

BBR

http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/T/Tank.pdf the service manual for 'Tank' by Kee/Atari. Read it carefully before doing anything.

If you see any reference in or on your cabinet that it might be a Tank 8, please get in contact with the dudes at mame.

And once again: If you have any doubts, any questions, don't make a mess of that game, just ask around here. There is loads of knowledge just a mouse click away.