IGNORED

Finally got a boxed one!

Dolt

After nearly 10 years of collecting Atari, I FINALLY got a boxed 2600!

I've seen them from time to time, and usually they were in an antique toy store or something, always priced waaaay too high. Another time, I got one at a garage sale, and two hours later as a gesture of good will (which I came to regret), gave it to a friend who'd been coveting my Atari. A few years later, I spotted one in the trash of a neighbor when I first moved into my town but couldn't garbage pick it without the whole neighborhood watching as to what 'that new guy' was doing, so I had to let it go.

But NOW, finally, I have one--got it from an NYU student for $15 at lunchtime, the serial numbers match :) and it came with the original boxed Combat and a boxed Missle Command. The glue had dried out so that the lengthwise innerflap was half apart, making it all look in much worse shape than it was. With a glue stick, packing tape judiciously applied (inside, not outside!) and some rubber bands to help it all keep its shape until the glue dries, it looks fairly spiffy. All my co-workers keep walking by, spotting it, and asking 'wow, how much did you pay for that?' They keep guessing much higher prices, so I guess they're the people who those expensive boxed machines are aimed at!

Boy, I hope the darn 2600 works! :D

Congrats! I love getting boxed hardware. It's so much easier to store and presents much better than loose stuff. I snagged a complete boxed Sears heavy sixer a couple of months ago -- damn near mint box (some abrasion from storage and moving about, but no tears or rips), absolutely mint hardware. One of the prides of my collection, and I was damn happy to get it. ;) It's not technically an Atari since it's Sears-branded, but I know in my heart the Sears branding is the only non-Atari part about it. :-)

Wow, I didn't realize I got mine so cheap. I got a boxed Atari VCS - CX2600A in great condition, it was in good enough condition that the guy just put it in that brown paper wrap and shipped it for only $29.00 with combat included with the manual and all with actually a bunch of instructions/log books from random games as well!! But anyways, Congrats on your purchase!

• 2 months later...