IGNORED

CD-Device for ATARI 8-Bit

emkay

Why should it be fake? I have the device and on my page there's a schematic.

There are 99 stereo tracks on the cd. Each gets 4 programs * 2 (two tracks).

You have to load turbo loader from cassette/disk/cartridge, it then loads 'Tornado' menu in high-speed turbo from cd. You then have to select the program, while atari is loading on 10kbps using Pokey. The 4 programs do load in one long block, if you want program 4, all the three previous programs are loaded to memory anyway, but only 4th gets executed (rolling buffer).

The price is ridiculous. Or, better said, I'm going to build them too :D

So this cartridge's cable plugs into the headphone jack on a portable CD player? Then you just start the menu program and press "play" on the CD player or something like that? Is this basically how it works? Then the Atari reads it like a super-fast tape audio signal, basically the same concept as Atari tape players like the 400 and 1010?

:ponder:

Gunstar: No, the audio output of cd is routed by a stereo cable to the interface which has left/right switch for track selection and SIO plug for the output. I don't know why the guy didn't display it there. The cartridge is just the 2k loader, nothing else.

Clint: I'll can make it for you for $60, as I said :twisted: 8) :D

The price does seem high, you can get the MyIDE interface for around $50 and that lets you plug any hard drive into your Atari. So I'm assuming the tech isn't that much different in getting a Cd-rom attached.

With MyIDE and Sio2pc it seems like a CD player for the 8bits is a little overkill but it had to be tried and I'm sure someone will develop a killer app for it :D

The price does seem high, you can get the MyIDE interface for around $50 and that lets you plug any hard drive into your Atari.  So I'm assuming the tech isn't that much different in getting a Cd-rom attached.

With MyIDE and Sio2pc it seems like a CD player for the 8bits is a little overkill but it had to be tried and I'm sure someone will develop a killer app for it  :D

I got a MyIDE and was a bit dissappointed. It doesnt work with every HD - Older Quantums work best I think - Also, due to the handler it doesnt work with alot of DOS's or games :(

Have there been any improvements in this? I could only get MyDOS to work with it and not Sparta.

Have there been any improvements in this?  I could only get MyDOS to work with it and not Sparta.

I was thinking of picking a new one up soon and from what I gathered on his webpage, he claimed that every IDE drive worked because of a new, updated chipset.

http://www.mr-atari.com/hardware-want.htm

Have there been any improvements in this?  I could only get MyDOS to work with it and not Sparta.

I was thinking of picking a new one up soon and from what I gathered on his webpage, he claimed that every IDE drive worked because of a new, updated chipset.

http://www.mr-atari.com/hardware-want.htm

Ah,

Ok - I guess that is true then. At the end of the day a SIO2PC hookup to an old cheap laptop is prob the better solution IMHO. I had fun with the IDE drive but its not as simple as the SIO2PC stuff with APE and messing around with Atari DOS's isnt that fun IMHO :)

If I could get a GUI based OS to work with MyIDE then it might be of some use to me. However DIamond doesnt work nor BOSS since they load drivers in the same area as the MyIDE ones.