IGNORED

Hungry for challenge. Will compete for patches.

Jess Ragan

As I mentioned in another post, I played Activision Anthology over the weekend. I really enjoyed the collection, but the best part was trying to reach the target scores necessary to unlock the patches. I never got a chance to win the real things... I grew up with an Odyssey2, and by the time I got an honest to goodness Atari 2600, the video game industry had already crashed.

However, it's still fun to try to win the virtual patches, just because I had convinced myself earlier that there was no possible way I could beat those target scores! Some of those scores really ARE tough to reach, but with some persistence I managed to unlock the patches for Megamania (a personal favorite of mine), Spider Fighter, and Beamrider. I think I got the Chopper Command patch as well, although this was a little TOO easy... I was disappointed that I won it so quickly.

So, my question to you is this... if this were 1982 all over again, which of the Activision patches could YOU win? In case you've forgotten the scores required for each patch, here they are...

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/acti...on_patches.html

JR

I'm not looking at the list, because I'm getting this for the PC on Christmas Day and I don't want any spoilers! :D

However, I could have easily got one on Chopper Command. I had a technique on that game and I could basically play it all day without getting killed (or at least, without ending my game).

Also, I could finish the first track on Grand Prix in the quickest possible time, top speed with no crashes at all (I think it was 19.73 seconds, or thereabouts, but that was a looooooong time ago so I could be wrong).

I'd be able to get all of them EXCEPT:

Barnstorming

Grand Prix

and Tennis.

I always sucked at those three games.

So you're saying you could achieve the patch requirements for Space Shuttle? I wouldn't even TRY to do that... the game just looks way too complicated for my tastes. If I wanted that much control over a space shuttle, I would have joined NASA. :ponder:

JR

I'd be able to get all of them EXCEPT:

Barnstorming

Grand Prix

and Tennis.

I always sucked at those three games.

So you're saying you could achieve the patch requirements for Space Shuttle? I wouldn't even TRY to do that... the game just looks way too complicated for my tastes. If I wanted that much control over a space shuttle, I would have joined NASA. :ponder:

JR

Yes, I was very good at Space Shuttle when it came out.

Back in the 80's, out of all the games I had at the time: Robotank had the Star of Honor for 72 tanks. I got the 2 lower patches for 48 and 60 tanks, but 72 is tough! I still haven't reached that mark!

Decathlon had a gold medal for 10,000. I earned the silver and bronze, but only recently did I get the gold.

I tried to earn all the patches for every game I could buy back then. I wasn't able to buy all the games, but I did get a patch for all that I had. I even went so far as to send in scores for the other variations that allowed for patches(Barnstorming 2 and 3, Grand Prix 2, 3, and 4, Starmaster 2, 3, and 4, etc.) Some of them are tough!

I am pretty sure that I would be able to get the patches for the following games

1. Spider Fighter

2. Laser Blast (too easy once you have the pattern locked)

3. Hockey

I have earned some of the patches for some of the other games with the PS2 version of Anthology but not sure if I would be able to do it with the real game on a 2600.

Back in the 80s, the only one I probably could've gotten was for Pitfall II... I loved that game (what am I talking about? I still do :) )

With AA on the GBA, though, I've been able to rack up quite a few patches -- including gold on Decathalon -- being able to use the L and R buttons helps alot, and you quickly find out that you can just hold down L, and tap R as quickly as possible :D I'm pretty sure that the real thing would kick my butt pretty badly.

As for Space Shuttle, I've resigned myself to just not having that patch... way to complex for me... :)