IGNORED

Oystron and Marble Craze

Cafeman

I just got Oystron and Marble Craze yesterday. I came home from work, saw the AtariAge box in the mail, immediately hooked up the Darth Vader 2600 and plugged 'em in. Played for a while, then came back to them later on for a 2nd gaming session.

Oystron had me confused at first, I didn't know what to do other than shoot the enemies and grab the pearls. Then eventually I realized that you could use the pearls to place new oysters. It seemed so manic! Try to line-up with the rows of enemies & shoot them (trying not to crash into them), then snag the resulting crystals/pearl things, then some you can't destroy , some move up & down, AGHHHHH!

So I didn't get very far at first. Later on I figured out that if I created a row of my own Oysters (I think they are supposed to be oysters, right?) I'd incremement the number at the bottom of the screen. I guess that is supposed to be your count of bombs. The manual could be a little bit more helpful concerning how to play the game.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is the meter. It doesn't seem to grow or shrink based on how many things I shoot. but when it fills up I think the wave ends and the Oystron thing comes out and I can plant bombs to kill it. Then the screen continues to flash and everything is a little bit faster than normal, then it returns to the main game mode.

Oystron was more complicated than it initially looked, but after a while I got into the groove and I must say it's a pretty fun game. I need to improve my skills. Kudos to the author and a recommendation from me. (I'll be playing it more over this week).

-----

Next, I also got Marble Craze. I had tried this before at a show and just now finally got around to getting a copy. I like to use the left-right paddle in my left hand, and the up-down paddle in my right hand. Is that how you play too?

Technically, the game impresses, doesn't it! You got a split screen and great marble action, cool (non-2600 style) music and some wicked screens. I found it quite fun finding the keys in level 3, and also seeing all the homages in level 2 (haunted house eyes, 2600 pac-man, etc). I skipped ahead to level 10 and 15 (I think) and they seemed impossible since you can roll off the course! I could barely switch to the next screen with my feeble paddle skills. Just like Super Monkey Ball, frustrating and it needs plenty of practice time, but you feel great when you beat a level.

After playing these 2 new awesome homebrews, I played some of my other ones too : Skeleton + (got up to 23 skeletons), Qb (any skills I had last month were gone last night), and SCSi-cide (I won't be setting any high score records on this one anytime soon).

it was a great homebrew playin' night at the House of the Caffeinated One. :D

I just saw where your located - I live there too! :-)

The first few times I played Oystron, I just didn't get what the hype was about. A while back, after playing so many other homebrews, I decided to go back and read the instructions before I gave it another shot. It has become one of my favorite games of all time! It rocks!

Marble Craze is great fun too... although I haven't had enough time to sit down and play much more than one or two games since I got my copy. I love the innovation - using the two paddles is perfect for the game. In my opinion, this one became classic as soon as it was released. :-)

BTW, the other day I played a GBA game called something like Super Monkey Ball(?). Like Marble Craze, it has the tilted platform movement idea going on -- it wasn't nearly as fun to play as Marble Craze just for lack of paddles to play with.

k

Next, I also got Marble Craze. I had tried this before at a show and just now finally got around to getting a copy. I like to use the left-right paddle in my left hand, and the up-down paddle in my right hand. Is that how you play too?

I use the paddles vertically, one facing to me (left/right) and one facing to the right (up/down). You should attach them to some box to keep positions.

I played some more.

Now I can get up to level 7 on Marble Craze before it's game over. Still a very difficult game, but thankfully in the narrow / dangerous sections you can visually see what "center" is and ever-so-slightly bank the ball in the right direction. Marble Craze is not only a good game, but its execution really adds to the entertainment value. I already mentioned the music , but also the different goals each level (find the key, or get more time, etc). 2600 games never had such music and even the pop-up text that tells you what to do.

I played some Oystron, too. I still don't understand what makes the wave end and the Oystron boss come out. Sometimes I play for quite a while and the level doesn't seem to end. Other times the end seems to come more quickly. I can't tell if its because of the number of times I die, or number of things I shoot, or number of bombs I make, or what. Oystron is a cool little game though and it is very unique, unlike anything I've played before.

Okay, I also played some more Skeleton + and I killed 40 skeletons ... and the game crashed! :ponder:

I just set one paddle on each leg, and play with my right hand controlling the vertical.  The higher levels may seem impossible at first, but they're doable with some practice.

This is what I do also, seems to work reasonably well. Of course, a custom-built dual-paddle controller would be ideal. And yes, those higher levels are impossible. :)

..Al

I played some Oystron, too. I still don't understand what makes the wave end and the Oystron boss come out.  Sometimes I play for quite a while and the level doesn't seem to end.  Other times the end seems to come more quickly.  I can't tell if its because of the number of times I die, or number of things I shoot, or number of bombs I make, or what.  Oystron is a cool little game though and it is very unique, unlike anything I've played before.  

Okay, I also played some more Skeleton + and I killed 40 skeletons ... and the game crashed!  :ponder:

I've been playing these two on the GBA the last few days. If I can recall correctly without peeking at the manual, the meter is simply a time meter and each wave is complete after the timer bar reachs the end. It's not really over but that when the Oystron comes out and after you beat or dodge it you go into the warp zone to the next level.

I think I'm only up to 21 skeletons so far, the game makes me dizzy after awhile with all those narrow corridors :)