IGNORED

Hello to everyone!

SuperShot

Hi, I´m new here, I´ve been playing with videogames since I was about four years old with my 2600, but time passed and I forgot about my system. Now, many years later, I rediscovered that old system hidden in my house and I tried to hook it up to the TV. After seeing that I remembered how to do it, I started to play the games. Nice memories, but after some minutes, something started to going wrong. The sound was dissapearing! After some time, there was no sound at all. I tried with the four different RF cables I have, but nothing worked. Anyone has the same problem? I know I can play the games, but without the sound is not the same..

Welcome to Atari Age. As for your sound problem, there are a lot of people that will be able to help you on these boards. Being Christmas day I dont know if you will get an answer right away, but someone will help you. Once again welcome to Atari Age and I hope you like it here. :D

A few things that I'd suggest. First, try cleaning the cartridge with some alcohol and a q-tip (if the problem is happening on more the one cart, this might not fix it, but it can't hurt :) ). If that doesn't fix it, the next thing I'd check would be the power supply. A failing power supply can cause any number of strange behaviors. IIRC, the supply needs to be 9v 500 mA (though the 2600 can handle somewhat more then that with no problem). I'm using a Radio Shack Universal power supply 273-1770 which is 9V 800 mA.

Hope this helps.

Marty

I know what you are having probs with.. seen it many of times.. Take off your r/f shielding, locate the audio tuner shaft.. thats that big red/orange thing that sticks up like 3/4 of an inch and has a alen head screw inside the plastic tube,, about 3/16th wide.. even has a hole cut in the r/f shielding to get access to this allen head screw,, easy to find. If ther is any rust it this sucker.. this could be the prob.. or if you got cleaner in this (or maybe even armor all;) this could possibly be your prob.. however.. what I more likely think, after locating the the tuning tower.. useing it as a center point.. look just off to the upper right for two resistors that have a CLEAR plastic coating on them, at around the 2o'clock postition (this is for a four switcher, 6 swither is near the tower, sorry no pics, Im too lazy to mess with em;).. usually what I see with the sound fading out and not coming back it that these resistors are toast. Ive personnally exsperianced this more than once for the Electronic Componet Cleaner I use when I recondition a 2600 is REAL strong and if I get some of this cleaner on these resistors.. when I test the unit after the recon, the sound does just what you describe.. works,, fades out.. never comes back. I usually just change the tuning tower and the resistiors as a set when I exsperiance this problem. This is the most common thing.. hope you know how to solder;) Other, more uncommon possiblities, r/f tuner bad, bad comp chip.. these are rare tho..