IGNORED

Best Atari 2600 Shooter ?

israelg

I would have to say that Spider Fighter is one of the faster ones, that most others only let you shoot one bullet at a time. I am also a big fan of Seaquest.

I LOVE Seaquest!! Spider Fighter is pretty cool.

Megamania is another fave of mine.

Buck

Megamania is my personal favorite game with a shoot feature (999,999 every time baby) but if you wanna go for a pure crazy shooting fun you can do better. I think the most underappreciated 2600 game is Turmoil, the classic from 20th Century Fox. This is a totally original shooter that is pure adrenaline. It even has a pause feature which is much needed. Turmoil just might be the most exciting game of all.

1. Spider Fighter. Its reward schedule is like a page out of the Skinner experiments with rats. It keeps you coming back for more.

2. Turmoil. Mark Turmell *defines* shooters, and while this game pre-dates his opus, Smash TV Arcade, it was a sign of what was to come.

3. MegaMania. Everyone had a name for the objects you were shooting, and since most people avoid manuals, it is always interesting to hear what people call them. For me, it was BowTies, Popcorn, Hamburgers, Irons and so forth.

4. Demon Attack. Ah the goodness. Informal survey over the years reveals a strange pattern, when people played this game when they were under the age of ten (When it was released), they preferred non-guided missiles. Those OVER the age of then preferred guided missiles. Weird. Rob Fulop deserves HUGE kudos for this one. My childhood was enhanced by this well balanced gem of a design.

5. Space Jockey. Why? For some reason, the weird cartesian graph-like packaging of US Games, the five dollar price tag, and the relentless shooting - SOMETHING made myself and my friends rush home from elementary school for our 45 minute lunch to forego sustenance of the food kind for pure low-res (Even by Atari standards) goodness.

Stop reading here, but if you want my "runners up", well here ya go:

Space Invaders - Pure shooter.

Phoenix - I NEEDED a port of the arcade game I loved.

Atlantis - Where did that little UFO go? See you in...

... Cosmic Ark - Take that, Space Zap. I loved the arcade game, and my friend had the Astrocade port, but this was relatively blissful.

Chopper Command - Say it Keanu, "Whoa!" It's Zen-like.

Star Master - 3D of the first kind. I group this with Robot Tank.

ADDENDUM:

:love: DEFENDER!! I might want to push this to the #1 spot. Its follow-up, Stargate/Defender II, deserves a lot of credit too.

Mike

Everyone had a name for the objects you were shooting

So true. I remember playing it with my sister and neighbor all the time and we always made up names on what the enemies were. Dice, Tires, Irons, Bowties, Diamonds, and of course the one that always made us giggle, Poo (the falling asteroid thingys). What do you expect we were 6 years old. :roll: