IGNORED

Best Atari 2600 Shooter ?

israelg

Very difficult fun shooters include:

Starmaster (Supreme Starmaster level). Try to get through this one without losing a starbase.

Robot Tank. Get past 60 tanks dude! You'll be in for some action. I hope the weather is good and you have some tanks in reserve! Can you score 144?!!

Plaque Attack: I thought this one would be a cinch to max the score. It's almost like Megamania, but was I ever in for a surprise. I still haven't gotten 100K.

River Raid: Totally the best scrolling shooter ever. The fuel becomes the most difficult factor for me!

Stampede: Some folks say this game is like defender :? It's in a class by itself. Try to get above 35K!!

A little easier, but still fun shooters include:

River Raid II: Much easier than River Raid once you learn how to take off, land and bomb objects on the ground. I suggest reading the manual on this one before giving up because it is a lot of fun! I don't really even try to shoot the planes. I just keep full of fuel, shoot the ships since they do not fire back, and get ready to attack the river area for big points. I was able to max out the score here.

Spider fighter, Megamania, Commando, Space Invaders. OK I'll stop! :D

I think Oystron is so far beyond any other 2600 shooter that top-N lists are just silly. :D

That said, I also like Commie Mutants, River Raid, Phoenix (yeah, I like it better than Demon Attack...) Turmoil, Space Invaders (and hacks, and Space Instigators) and a whole bunch of others....