IGNORED

Dreams Come True

Gabriel

Today saw the fulfillment of a 20 year old dream.

For two decades, I have wanted to play Missile Command with a Trak-Ball on an Atari 5200. About a year ago, I finally managed to get a copy of Missile Command.

Today, I got my beautiful Atari 5200 Trak-Ball.

It was worth the wait. Everyone who has an Atari 5200 owes it to themselves to get one of these controllers. I may never play Missile Command any other way.

I am one happy bastard today.

I know the feeling :D I share in your enjoyment. Get yourself a copy of Millipede as well as Centipede. You won't be disappointed. The Trak-Ball is why the 5200 version of Centipede blows away the 7800 version gameplay wise.

I love the design of the 5200 TB, it wasn't made like a cheap piece of shit ya know. It's total class all the way, from having dual side controls for either left or right-handed players, to the Heavy construction so you have something that doesn't move around on you while you use it. The ball itself is excellent, basically a Cueball...making it also nice and heavy as to give you better control...I think the heavyness of the ball makes it easier to stop it for more precise aiming especially on Missile Command where you need pinpoint accuracy to nail those smart bombs.

• 2 weeks later...

I put it off for quite a while, but tonight I played Centipede with the trak-ball. I've been distracted lately by long Defender sessions, and Berzerk has been demanding my attention as well.

But tonight I popped Centipede in and all I can say is, "WOW!"

The only way Centipede could be more arcade perfect is by playing the actual arcade game. The 5200 was DEFINITELY the home arcade machine of its era.

I drool thinking of how awesome Tempest would have been. Short of a special spinner controller, the trak-ball would have provided the closest control to the arcade game.

Well, too bad one cannot say that the basic hand controllers of the 5200 weren't made like crap.  Oh, well...!

Seriously, I don't hate 5200 controllers, even the non-centering issues. Never had a problem using them with games that have a full range of motion like Countermeasure and MC. Now, maze games, OTOH . . . The 5200 has one good conversion Blueprint ever got and it's basically unplayable with any controller that the 5200 had during it's lifetime.

They're far better to me than the CV/INTV controllers, IMO.

It was worth the wait.  Everyone who has an Atari 5200 owes it to themselves to get one of these controllers.  I may never play Missile Command any other way.

Well, I was spoiled. I got a trak-ball and a 5200 on the same Christmas (2001, I think.)

This controller coupled with Centipede/Missile Command is definitly the shining star of the 5200. :D