IGNORED

Why aren't Hozer videogame homebrews listed?

Adriana

So I'm digging through the AtariAge Atari 2600 Rarity Guide, digging around for homebrews and reproduction cartridges that I might have missed in the past year, and I noticed some VERY GLARING omissions. Namely, that there are NO Hozer Video cartridges listed at all.

Where's Alphanumeric Madness, 2600 Post-It Note, Cubis, High Bid!, HozerQuest Thrifting Simulator, Rescue Bira Bira, SoundX, Tetris26, Video Time Machine -- to name just a few?

Now look, I understand that there was some beef or drama or whatever between AtariAge and Hozer, but seeing as that people use the AtariAge guide as a cartridge resource, I think it's a great disservice that games such as these are omitted.

What's the deal?

The titles you listed have never been in the rarity guide, they were not removed when the business with Hozer occurred last year. There are in fact quite a few titles in the database that were released (at least initially) through Hozer:

Qb

Marble Craze

Oystron

Edtris

SCSIcide

Space Treat

...and so forth. When we first created the database, not many homebrew games were included. Pretty much anything that's been released since AtariAge went online has been added to the database. But there are some older titles that are not currently listed--they've just never been added. Hacks are not listed in the rarity guide, which covers many of the Hozer titles (and several of the ones you listed).

..Al

I want the hozer version of thrust. But since that will never happen, you want to just post a picture of it? Thanx :)

Here's a low-res one that I had lying around on my HD. If the Als would like, I could do a much better one (plus the end label) for the database.

post-1863-1072669862_thumb.jpg

I think I like the Hozer label better than the platnum one. :ponder:

So where can I find the story behind hozer? I came into the scene after they were gone and heard a few things about them and what they did, but never heard the whole story. I looked it up on google but all I got was a bunch of broken links. Any one have any info?

I think I like the Hozer label better than the platnum one.  :ponder:

No way. That Platinum one is sweet! One of these days I’ll actually pick one up. :roll:

I own the platnum one and that is the version that I beat. So I know what it looks like. ;) I just like the hozer version because it has more going on. Not just a spaceship in the midde flying.

So where can I find the story behind hozer? I came into the scene after they were gone and heard a few things about them and what they did, but never heard the whole story.

*Sigh*

Step 1: Go to "Search" in links above.

Step 2: Type in "Hozer"

Step 3: Read.

Step 4: Move on, lest the "Don't mention that name/subject" folks begin posting their pleas.

So where can I find the story behind hozer? I came into the scene after they were gone and heard a few things about them and what they did, but never heard the whole story.

*Sigh*

Step 1: Go to "Search" in links above.

Step 2: Type in "Hozer"

Step 3: Read.

Step 4: Move on, lest the "Don't mention that name/subject" folks begin posting their pleas.

EDIT: Okay this can end here, I have found the threads that I need (and the info) so this can all be dropped.

Well, there are still enough Hozer titles that are NOT hacks that I think should be put in the rarity guide: Alphanumeric Madness, 2600 Post-It Note, Cubis, SoundX, Video Time Machine, Minesweeper ... I know there are a few others.

I can provide cartridge scans if you need them.

bjk7382 -- I'm probably going to "upgrade" a lot of my Hozer carts to the AtariAge versions (nicer labels and all) so I'll be selling the Hozer version of Thrust on eBay, along with the Hozer versions of Dark Mage, INV, Mondo Pong, This Planet Sucks, etc.

Here's a question: Do you think the value of these Hozer carts will have increased, now that they are no longer available? I just want to make enough money off of them to be able to afford to buy all the newer AtariAge versions!

bjk7382 -- I'm probably going to "upgrade" a lot of my Hozer carts to the AtariAge versions (nicer labels and all) so I'll be selling the Hozer version of Thrust on eBay, along with the Hozer versions of Dark Mage, INV, Mondo Pong, This Planet Sucks, etc.

Here's a question: Do you think the value of these Hozer carts will have increased, now that they are no longer available? I just want to make enough money off of them to be able to afford to buy all the newer AtariAge versions!

Yeah, let me know when you put it on ebay. I looked at one of the old hozer pages thru the internet archives and saw that it was 25 dollars. I could see it go for a little more becaue it is "out of print"

Old Hozer video page with thrust on it

Near as I can figure it out, here's a complete list of homebrews (not hacks) that were offered by Hozer, but are not available in the AtariAge store (or anywhere, for that matter) but should still be listed in the AtariAge Rarity Guide:

2600 Post-It Note

Alphanumeric Madness

Boing Amiga Demo

Combat Two

Cubis

Elk Attack

Kamikaze Saucers

Minesweeper

Pressure Gauge

SoundX

Tazer

Tetris26

Video Simon

Video Time Machine

Yahtzee

I think that's it for homebrews. Hmmmm... wonder if these are now worth anything, since they're now "collector's items!" :D

Well, there are still enough Hozer titles that are NOT hacks that I think should be put in the rarity guide: Alphanumeric Madness, 2600 Post-It Note, Cubis, SoundX, Video Time Machine, Minesweeper ... I know there are a few others.

I can provide cartridge scans if you need them.

I doubt it. Many, many Hozer carts have begun to fail and you'd probably have to "upgrade" pretty soon by neccessity. I've had four Hozer carts fail and they were all less than five years old. In theory the EPROM's should last for 20 years.

Hi there!

2600 Post-It Note

Alphanumeric Madness

Boing Amiga Demo

Combat Two

Cubis

Elk Attack

Kamikaze Saucers

Minesweeper

Pressure Gauge

SoundX

Tazer

Tetris26

Video Simon

Video Time Machine

Yahtzee

They are all just tech demos or unfinished/unreleased games. I'd add none of these to the database. I really wonder why some are on this list at all, Cubis for example: Eckhard had this title withdrawn and even had the binaries deleted from the [stella] archive, because he feared he'd get in trouble for copyright infringement. I don't think he ever agreed to have it put on cartridge.

Also titles like Combat and Elk Attack already have "official" entries in the DB and I think it's nonsense to add people to the DB who build reproductions. Everyone and their grandma can put Elk Attack on a cartridge and what's the point of for example having Hozer, Packrat, VGWIZ, Atari Age and three other parties listed as producer in the DB?!?

It only gets bloated and the actual information gets lost in redundant data garbage.

Greetings,

Manuel

They are all just tech demos or unfinished/unreleased games. I'd add none of these to the database.

Well, using the term "all" is a bit presumptious. 2600 Post-It Note and Alphanumeric Madness weren't games, per se, but they were complete, customized cartridges.

Pressure Gauge, Video Time Machine, and Yahtzee were also all finished, complete cartridges, not incomplete or tech demos. Therefore, they probably should be included in the DB -- and available for purchase in the AtariAge store!

It's a shame these are no longer available, as they were all good games (well, Video Time Machine isn't a game, but I love just turning it on and letting it run when my TV isn't in use -- it a 2600 clock!)

And what about the Ebivision games? Will these ever be available in the AtariAge store? Those are some of the best homebrew games ever made!

Hi there!

They are all just tech demos or unfinished/unreleased games. I'd add none of these to the database.

Well, using the term "all" is a bit presumptious. 2600 Post-It Note and Alphanumeric Madness weren't games, per se, but they were complete, customized cartridges.

Pressure Gauge, Video Time Machine, and Yahtzee were also all finished, complete cartridges, not incomplete or tech demos. Therefore, they probably should be included in the DB -- and available for purchase in the AtariAge store!

Anyhow even then they shouldn't be listed as "Hozer Games" in the DB, but only once and there tagged with their creator and not the cartridge manufacturer.

And while I never cared about the non-game things, I'd swear Presure Gauge and Yahtzee already have DB entries...

Greetings,

Manuel

Boing Amiga Demo

I don't even have a Hozer copy of this myself, and never considered that anyone would want to buy it since it's not a game (just a graphical demo with barely hidden musical easter egg.) But I'm sure the Als would make one for you if you asked for it, and if they wouldn't because they don't feel they have permission, well, here's permission :D

And while I never cared about the non-game things, I'd swear Presure Gauge and Yahtzee already have DB entries...

Indeed,

Pressure Gauge

Yahtzee

I don't even have a Hozer copy of this myself, and never considered that anyone would want to buy it since it's not a game (just a graphical demo with barely hidden musical easter egg.) But I'm sure the Als would make one for you if you asked for it, and if they wouldn't because they don't feel they have permission, well, here's permission

We'd be glad to, thanks. Maybe we should make a spiffy label for this and add it to the store. I was always fond of the Amiga Boink! demo, so having one on the 2600 is a cool feat. :)

..Al