IGNORED

Breakout , Super Breakout, Breakaway IV

skippy5c

My memory is a little faded.  Does anyone know the difference between  the 3 games listed above?  I want to purchase one...but can't remember how they differ.

Breakaway IV is the Sears name for Breakout.

SUPER Breakout is breakout with a number of enhancements.. Two balls on screen at the same time, a wall that advances,, etc.

Don't worry about Breakout.. Just get Super Breakout. You won't be disappointed. :)

Don't worry about Breakout.. Just get Super Breakout. You won't be disappointed. :)

Right you are! :)

Super Breakout is the definitive version of Breakout for the 2600. You won't need anything else, unless of course, you're like most of us collectors who have the need to acquire every 2600 cart we can get our hands on! :D

I basically agree with all above. The only reason why you should still want to purchase the regular Breakout is that it allows 4-players games, diveded in 2 teams whose members play simultaneously: a very singular feature. About Off the Wall: be aware that it's a joystick-driven game (or can it be played with paddles as well, Sku?)

I basically agree with all above. The only reason why you should still want to purchase the regular Breakout is that it allows 4-players games, diveded in 2 teams whose members play simultaneously: a very singular feature. About Off the Wall: be aware that it's a joystick-driven game (or can it be played with paddles as well, Sku?)

You can only use Joysticks AFAIK. I've never tried paddles to see if they are compatable in any way.

Super Breakout: the only game which is better on the 2600 than it was on the 5200 or arcade.

Yeah, I agree with this. 2600 Super Breakout rules. Even if you could use paddles on the 5200 version, the 2600 would be better. Most amazing is the 2600's sound effects. They're clearly superior to the 5200 version.

--Jason

• 8 months later...

Bump. :)

OK so Super Breakout is the clear fav, that much I know & agree with, but why does Breakout have a model number of CX2622, when Supoer Breakout is CX2608? Super Breakout was planned out prior to Breakout?, both were planned out close to same time? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why if when they were planning all these out, and CX2608 was asigned to Super Breakout, why even bother with a watered down version? :? But it was Breakout that was released first, with later part number, but why wouldn't it of had the CX2608 part number instead?? Was CX2608 originally going to be something different?

The part numbers aren't always sequential. Atari left some gaps at first because they tried to have games around the same part number be part of a series (look how spread out the original nine are). Later on they filled in those gaps with unrelated titles (notice how Roadrunner is in the 40's?). Since Super Breakout came out later, Atari probably just used a part number that they had left over. I should ask Nick if he knows...

Tempest

The lame thing about Breakout is that there are only two boards!  I'm really curious about why in the world they would program it that way.  Maybe one of these days someone will disassemble it and see.

-paul

I did it already in ROL Out (+ 4 digit scoring too). It was that way because the program checks for a specific score value to signal that a new wall is needed. The fix is to use an unused Ram location to hold a "# of bricks hit" counter...and give the signal whenever it drops to zero.

The part numbers aren't always sequential.  Atari left some gaps at first because they tried to have games around the same part number be part of a series (look how spread out the original nine are).  Later on they filled in those gaps with unrelated titles (notice how Roadrunner is in the 40's?).  Since Super Breakout came out later, Atari probably just used a part number that they had left over.  I should ask Nick if he knows...

Tempest

Yeah I'm aware of the spacing. You would have thought 2608 would have been filled before Super Breakout came about though. It's just such a low number. the first 3 were launch titles, 4-7 were all available by end of 78. 9-10 were available in 78.. they skipped 2608, it just seems odd that title got such a low number.

Roadrunner is 63, earilest of all the Red labels, besides for re-issues like Space Invaders, comes before most of the Silver labels. Atari originally started with Basic Math at 61 in 77 & that's damn near the end of line on the colored boxes, Hangman followed at 62 & Brain Games at 63, but that's it for colors. Realsports Baseball might be the one you were thinking of in the 40s it is CX2640 & the earliest of the Silver labels. It also looks out of place. Most the Silvers start up at 66, but RS Baseball, the first two Swordquests at 56/57 & Raiders at 59, all used up eariler numbers.

66-99 were only Silver.

I just don't know how if Super Breakout was a later game, 82? I think anyway, why a single digit number like 08 would have still been around for it to use. If 1-7 & 9-20 were already picked out & released prior, why wasn't Sky Diver or some other title picked for 08??

@Nukey Shay, :P