IGNORED

New Heavy-Sixer owner: color question

Dantaipan

I finally found a heavy-sixer in the wild this weekend. One issue I seem to have with it is that the color on some games is off. I adjusted the color pot using Pitfall II as a reference point but then I stick in Pitfall one and everything looks greeny-brown. Any tips? Has a chip gone bad? If so can I replace it with a chip from another model?

First the obvious: replace the RF cable. Some RF cable are of cheap construction and may be weaken the signal.

Secondly, make sure the TIA chip is firmly seated. Chip creep can also wrecj havoc on the old system.

Third, check the output of the voltage regulator. If you're gettingh a nice 5v, the power's probably fine.

Almopsty forgot, early 2600 were hard wired to channel 2 or 3, check your TV for other channel.

Finally, shoot the RF modulator and do the AV mod instead. I doubt the chip just goes bad and leave you with poor color. If the TIA went bad, you would have no color at all or garbage but not just "off."

Thanks for your suggestions. I opened it up again to try to tweak the color pot again and mysteriously everything looked great before even touching it. The color output from the heavy sixer is defenitely vibrant. Not sure if it is more so than from my regular 6-switch or 4-switch but definitely more so then the 7800.

P.S. I'd love to do the A/V mod. Just did it to my 5200 (mod board) and couldn't be happier.

I've noticed that the color on my heavy 6ers are  different than my 4 port ones (at least when I tried Moon Patrol).  The colors seem more "vibrant".  I thought it was me and then I tried another heavy 6er.. same thing.

It isn't you, all of the heavy sixers, and the "lite sixers" will have better color than 4 switches and jr's. It is because of the increased RF shielding on the inside. I use a lite sixer for my regular system becuse the color is way better than a 4 switch.